FORUMS: list search recent posts

(newbie question) Best settings for fcp7 & canon 7d HD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Milat
(newbie question) Best settings for fcp7 & canon 7d HD footage
on May 28, 2012 at 1:12:21 am

So, these questions may sound dumb to most of you, but please bear with me because I'm a novice and still learning!

So, I am currently working with 1920x1080 24fps and 1280x720 60fps footage. I connected my canon 7D to my imac and downloaded the video files to my computer using the software it came with (EOS Utility). I then began editing in Final Cut Pro 7 and imported the .mov files. I didn't convert/compress them, however I am using Lion and have a lot of space on my hard drive. Will it make a difference or is it absolutely necessary to convert the footage before editing? I've read that it's better to log and capture the footage directly from the camera... unfortunately it's too late for me to do that since I've already edited most of the project and formatted the memory cards. My next question, what would be the best settings for my project sequence? Once I finish editing, What would be the best export settings for: online streaming (Vimeo, Youtube, my website) vs. burning to a DVD? I followed Vimeo's recommended export settings on their site, but it really deters the quality of the video... grainy and slightly pixelated. Am I doing something wrong? Youtube takes forever and it's annoying because it doesn't have automatic HD playback.

( I used the conform speed option with my friend's Final Cut Pro X to convert and export the 1280X720 60fps footage to get that fluid slow motion effect because I don't have Cinema Tools and can't find it online. I would've used Final Cut Pro X to edit the whole project, but I'm not used to the new set up and was worried it would slow me down.)

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks for helping!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: (newbie question) Best settings for fcp7 & canon 7d HD footage
on May 28, 2012 at 4:08:10 am

I suggest you study Shane Ross's tutorial on file based workflow in FCP7.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

So far you have made some fundamental mistakes. Files were transfered from the camera using the EOS utility that doesn't transfer the card structure. Secondly you used the H264 files directly which is not the best in FCP as it hates H264 as an editing codec.

Final issue is that your files will not have reel numbers which makes the fix up of using Media Manager to make a transcoded copy of your project so you can edit on with ProRes files.

Return to posts index

yosh deston
on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:17:29 pm

Hey michael,
sort of unrelated maybe you can answer this or have found the answer.
if i take a HD file of a wedding i shot and compress it in compressor. will the SD file be of better quality as opposed to burning it in Toast as an HD File, im assuming that being full res in toast would make compression higher as there is more to compress?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 28, 2012 at 11:58:37 pm

You have Cinema Tools. It came with your licensed copy of Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 29, 2012 at 2:59:52 pm

Sorry to hear that you asked these questions after the fact.

For future reference, you should understand that H.264 isn't an acceptable editing codec in FCP 7. It's okay for X or Premiere Pro, but not legacy FCP.

Here's a seemingly-illogical metaphor for H.264: the humble bay leaf, used in cooking. It's mildly toxic, y'know. You happen to eat one in a stew? No problem. You decide to eat 5 pounds of bay leaves at a single sitting? Prepare to meet your maker.

H.264 is likewise mildly toxic to FCP. You want to cut up a one-minute H.264 clip to create a different shot sequence? No problem. You want to edit 40 hours of H.264 video in a feature-length project? FCP will go south on you.

That's why you always convert H.264 video to ProRes for editing in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

yosh deston
on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:16:29 pm

hey dave unrelated but cant find the answer to this if you can help?
-
if i take a HD file of a wedding i shot and compress it in compressor. will the SD file be of better quality as opposed to burning it in Toast as an HD File, im assuming that being full res in toast would make compression higher as there is more to compress?

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on May 10, 2013 at 9:28:01 pm

I hope you got this figured out by now, but for those seeing this forum for the first time who don't have time to look through tutorials and need an easy answer (life is exhaustively hectic enough as it is) I've had great success with minimal loss of quality with DVCPRO HD for converting 7D footage to be acceptable for the FCP7 sequence. Under "Settings" in Compressor, go to the folder that says High Definition. Works perfectly. If you shoot in 720p, obviously use the DVCPRO HD 720p24 etc. Just thought a quick answer might be the most helpful to others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]