FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 & FCP X on same system?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
FCP 7 & FCP X on same system?
on May 27, 2012 at 1:56:21 pm

I remember reading somewhere that you can continue to use FCP 7 after installing FCP X? True?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP 7 & FCP X on same system?
on May 27, 2012 at 2:24:12 pm

True, you can do this... I've been running it all either X only under Lion, or both under Lion, or X running on one startup disk, and 7 running on another. All seem to work OK. When you install X, it will put the older Studio apps in another folder inside the apps folder. This may cause a bit of havoc if you have a capture card installed and it presumes that FCP 7 is just inside the apps folder... so you can drag it out if need be.

We've been running FCP X and 7 on the same startup disk for an entire semester at the CFS on 25 stations in my classroom for an entire semester no problems I can see.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 28, 2012 at 12:14:53 am

If you are using a Kona/ Decklink/ Matrox card then there are different drivers for FCS3 and FCPX. If you want to keep your FCS3 system pristine, then I would recommend having Lion, FCPX on a different boot drive or partition.

It means you can happily update Lion OS without breaking your FCS3 system. As FCS3 is EOL then any update that breaks it may never be fixed.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 28, 2012 at 10:57:51 am

Thanks, both.

I running on 10.6.8 without a card. Anyone running both FCP 7 and FCP X on the same system?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]