FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad audio - Need suggestions for Audio EQ settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Dutcher
Bad audio - Need suggestions for Audio EQ settings
on May 27, 2012 at 7:04:02 am

Hi Guys,
So I have some footage that has marginal audio. Single person interviews indoors. A RE-50 was used but it was not exactly close for some of the interviews. Actually kind of far. Maybe 3-4ft sometimes.
So the audio level is actually not that bad. Wave forms are strong and voice is picked up fairly well. However it is also pick up a ton of room echo and misc ambient noise.
Plus the voice does sound a bit distant.

So I have been messing with different EQ setting in FCP audio filters. Have got the audio a bit better and isolated and seems close but something is still missing?
The best option i have found so far were just the 3 band EQ and the parametric.
Now, I know this is not the first time someone has audio issues like this and I am sure there are a few tricks and or settings you guys use to dial in the audio like this and bring in the isolation of the subject and dial out the room noise.
Anyone care to share some EQ/filter suggestions in the FCP settings?
Or maybe there is something in Soundtrack pro that will dial it in?

FCP 7.0.4

Thanks!!

Jason Dutcher
Producer/Director
Alluneed Productions

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Bad audio - Need suggestions for Audio EQ settings
on May 27, 2012 at 2:25:58 pm

EQing it isn't the best... send the audio to SoundTrack Pro, and reduce the noise there with it's noise reduction features. Works great. If you just search STP's Help on "Reduce Noise" you'll find the instructions. Easy too.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jason Dutcher
Re: Bad audio - Need suggestions for Audio EQ settings
on May 27, 2012 at 10:06:30 pm

Great, thanks, that did it! Cleaned it up real nice. I knew since I had good level there would be a way to dial it in. I think just from my "not so great" results back in the day of "Sound Soap" I got away from the "dial in" noise reducers and always went back to EQ combos which I usually get good results most of the time. But, for this project that STP filter works great. Thanks!

Jason Dutcher
Producer/Director
Alluneed Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]