FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding 29.97fps footage to already edited 24fps/23.97fps FCP sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Davis
Adding 29.97fps footage to already edited 24fps/23.97fps FCP sequence
on May 26, 2012 at 5:57:07 pm

After doing lots of searching, I'm still not exactly sure what the best solution is to this problem.

I have been shooting a documentary over the last two years on DSLR cameras in 24p, which I then import to FCP using the Canon plugin, creating 23.97 ProRes (LT) masters. I chose this frame rate as we intend to submit the film to fests for theatrical presentation.

Now that I'm in editing, I am getting A LOT of additional b-roll from various sources that was shot in 30p on DSLRs and 29.97 on Sony XDCam (fyi-much of it was shot from boats and contains fast movement). I know much better results are yielded from converting 23.97p up to 29.97p since you're not losing frames but given that I already have many edited 23.97 sequences, I'm not sure what the best workflow would be.

Should I just use Twixtor or other third party software to convert the 29.97 to 23.97 or is there a way to convert my hours and hours of 23.97 footage up to 29.97 without losing all the editing I have done already? (i.e. without having to create new sequences and start from scratch).

Any help would be most appreciated and if this has been covered elsewhere and I somehow missed it, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Adding 29.97fps footage to already edited 24fps/23.97fps FCP sequence
on May 27, 2012 at 12:19:50 pm

And did you try dropping the 29.97 footage into your 24p sequence and see how it looks?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
Re: Adding 29.97fps footage to already edited 24fps/23.97fps FCP sequence
on May 27, 2012 at 4:24:27 pm

I have and some of it looks ok, like interviews, but I imagine shots with lots of motion on the big screen will look choppy.

If no one offers any better suggestions, I'm thinking I will just edit them together without doing any conversions and then, once picture is locked, I will go through and convert each clip that is problematic, one by one. Tedious but better than starting from scratch with new sequences. Or, might try twixtor to go 29.97>23.97. Never tried it but have heard good things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]