FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Formats, Codecs, DSLR Oh My!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Herz
File Formats, Codecs, DSLR Oh My!
on May 25, 2012 at 9:16:17 pm

Hello All,
I am beginning my edit using FCP 7.0.3 - I am cutting on a MacBook Pro running OS Lion 10.7.3
Processor - 2.33 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory - 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

The project was shot on DSLR Canon 5d & 7d...audio for interviews was recorded on a digital voice recorder. The footage from the Canons was shot at 1080p30 (1920x1080). I also will be using some footage shot on a Sony Z7 at 1080i60 (1440x1080).
When I did log & transfer into FCP with the Canon footage, I did not check my import settings...and all video was imported as ProRes 4444. There is approximately 10 hours of DSLR footage in total. Editing so far has been a very slow process...my computer seems to take forever to do any command while editing...especially render time. I assume this is due to the size of the ProRes files and the speed of my computer. Although with most footage I've worked with tin the past, my computer seems to handle just fine.

So...I have a few questions that I need help/advice on:
1) Should I transcode all of the ProRes 4444 video to PR 422 or PR 422(LT) to make editing quicker and easier? Would this make editing quicker and easier? And if so...what is the best and most efficient way to do this? Should I just re-do log and transfer and reset import settings? Or should I export footage already inside FCP? And if so...how?

2) What's the best way to incorporate the 1080i60 footage into the project so I don;t have to render the video every time I put it into the timeline? I assume I should transcode to whatever ProRes I end up using, correct? And if so...what dimensions should I export it to? 1920x1080 or 1440x1080? And lastly, how can I export all the clips/footage at once...so I don;t have to export each clip individually?

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide.

-Dan

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: File Formats, Codecs, DSLR Oh My!
on May 25, 2012 at 10:20:36 pm

[Dan Herz] "1) Should I transcode all of the ProRes 4444 video to PR 422 or PR 422(LT) to make editing quicker and easier?"

Transcode to ProRes LT or 422. 4444 is WAAAAAAYYYYY too much for that format. Yeah, things will be sluggish with that. And all it does is take up space with zero benefit. Re-transcode to ProRes LT.

[Dan Herz] "Would this make editing quicker and easier?"

yup.

[Dan Herz] " And if so...what is the best and most efficient way to do this?"

Log and Transfer....like you did initially. YOu just need to change the settings that you transcode to.

[Dan Herz] " Should I just re-do log and transfer and reset import settings?"

Redo everything...yes.

[Dan Herz] "2) What's the best way to incorporate the 1080i60 footage into the project so I don;t have to render the video every time I put it into the timeline?"

If you add the footage, you should get a green render bar...which is fine and workable. I wouldn't worry about that. If you want no rendering at all, then you need to take the footage and use Compressor to convert it to the same format you imported the Canon footage as..and change the frame size to match. PLEASE tell me you shot the same frame rate. If you shot 23.98 with the Canon, and 29.97 with the HDV camera....things get complicated.

[Dan Herz] "And lastly, how can I export all the clips/footage at once...so I don;t have to export each clip individually?"

Bring it all into compressor...apply the codec you will transcode to to ALL of the clips. Press SUBMIT. Then go for a walk...eat lunch...sleep...catch a movie...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on May 27, 2012 at 4:58:13 pm

Thank Shane,
Just finished re-transferring to ProRes 422(LT)...muuuuuuuccccchhhh better. Thanks for the help.
One other question - I am assuming that for web video distribution, ProRes 422(LT) will be sufficient...thoughts? But if not, what is the easiest way to res up the final edit to ProRes 422 or ProRes 4444? The ProRes 4444 is taking up over 800 GB...so I would like to delete to free up space on the hard drive. So...question is - should I delete all of the 4444 and up res, if necessary at the end afet completing final edit?...or should I keep all of the 4444 video to up-res at the end?
Thanks

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 29, 2012 at 4:06:40 pm

You shouldn't have to transcode to ProRes 4444 AT ALL. You should be fine with LT.

It's tough to give advice on what you should do following the edit because you don't talk about your delivery requirements.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]