FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with Quicktime player when Encoding in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hotz
Issues with Quicktime player when Encoding in FCP
on May 25, 2012 at 5:43:44 pm

Hello Everyone. I have read and searched for an answer to this but have not found anything. Lets give it a shot here.

I am currently running 4 different mac pros. All with similar set ups. I am running FCP 7, with the Blackmagic HD extreme 3D capture card. (I have seen it with the Kona cards also.) The SD files that are captured sometimes playback in QT player with the FPS at 29.97. But it seems most of the time, they playback at off framerates. 29.98, 29.95. Every other program recognizes the files at 29.97. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix?

I have also noticed the same type of issue when it comes to the frame size. Encoded files in FCP will not playback at 720x486, they will playback at a 640x480, or a few others. I have noticed files that are being exported out of flame will play back through QT player at 654x486. Every other program will also recognize these as 720x486.

Now the normal answer is to ignore what QT player says, and thats fine when it comes to working with other programs. But there are other programs that run there transcoding off of the quicktime engine. Which is causing issues with the transcodes.

Has anyone else dealt with this? or know why it happens?

Kevin Hotz
Director Of Operations

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Issues with Quicktime player when Encoding in FCP
on May 25, 2012 at 10:22:36 pm

QT doesn't report accurate playback. Nor does it take into account SQUARE or RECTANGULAR pixels. The information it displays is not accurate. Don't use it. Use what FCP tells you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kevin Hotz
on May 25, 2012 at 10:30:41 pm

I agree with you there. But as I said in the post. Programs like Flip Factory and Vantage use the QT info in there transcoding engines. So when these files are transcoded, the end result isnt what it should be due to the programs thinking the files have a weird frame rate, or a weird aspect.

I was wondering when I was using the demo version, why I had to go back to such an old version of QT player, but now I am thinking it has to do with something with this.

Kevin Hotz
Director Of Operations

Return to posts index

Dan Charrington
on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:49:35 pm

I've run into this as well using the KONA cards. It's peculiar and rather a pain when the workflow involves programs like FlipFactory.

We've just resorted to re-exporting any file with a quirky framerate or aspect ration out of QT Player 7 again with fixed values. It's a pain and really kills an efficient workflow.

Hopefully they will correct and account for this issue when Final Cut 8 is announced.

Wait...

-

Dan Charrington
Supervisor, Non-Linear Technologies

MIJO
635 Queen St E. Toronto, ON
416-964-7539

MacPro 8-core Xeon 2.8GHz, 10gb Ram, AJA Kona 3 SD/HD

Return to posts index

Kevin Hotz
on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:55:02 pm

I agree. Flip Factory or Vantage are both going to have issues. I am doing the same process of going into and out of QT7. I agree it is a pain..

hahahaha good ole FCP 8... UGH!

Kevin Hotz
Director Of Operations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]