FORUMS: list search recent posts

uprez sd to hd with barco folsom image pro HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Friedberg
uprez sd to hd with barco folsom image pro HD
on May 24, 2012 at 3:28:29 pm

I've been told that renting a Barco Folsom Image Pro HD deck, through a AJA card to mac pro is one of the best ways to get quality HD from SD. I'm going to use the dvi input to take it from my mac to another. My question: what is the best codec to use to transfer my various digibetas and D2s, without renting decks, to quicktimes....I already have 8 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 quicktimes but someone told me there is a danger of "banding" unless I go to 10 bit. Do I use the 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 or the Apple Pro Res 422 HQ or the "none" codec (larger file size) when I make the quicktimes?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: uprez sd to hd with barco folsom image pro HD
on May 24, 2012 at 4:06:26 pm

True, 10 bit video is going to exhibit less banding. But I doubt that any 8 bit recording will improve because you have captured it at 10 bits (had to have SHOT it at 10 bits)... so don't think it will do anything but make bigger files of the captures.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Rick Friedberg
on May 24, 2012 at 4:22:54 pm

Thanks, Jerry. When you say that I shot it in 8 bit, does that mean that the digibetas and D2s made from the original telecine of 35 mm are 8 bit?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 25, 2012 at 12:30:07 am

Both the Beta and the D2 have 8 bit color depths. However if you worked in ProRes, you'd not lose anything (nor improve it per se) however anything added to a sequence such as graphics, stills could retain all 10 bits and those elements might exhibit less banding issues. Any ProRes compression is 10 bit.

That said, uprezzing won't improve anything likely will hurt the picture quality unless you use hardware for the upres that's high quality (Kona 3 or better but even then, it's not quite as sharp as looking at it in SD on an SD set. After all you're expanding the picture a lot.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]