FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting a 1920x1080 HD export into a 720x576 PAL FHA

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Kirberger
Converting a 1920x1080 HD export into a 720x576 PAL FHA
on May 23, 2012 at 7:32:17 am

Hey guys! This is a FCP and After Effects question, so I'm posting it in both. Apologies if this is not the correct thing to do...

I have a project which is 1920x1080, Apple Prores HQ, Square pixels, with letterboxing added. I have been asked to send a version that is 720x576 PAL FHA. Now, I did a search on here and found this thread and tried what it suggested. The only problem is that this suggests using the PAL D1/DV Widescreen preset for an After Effects comp and dropping in the video, scaling it, and rendering. Although this did look okay, it is not the dimensions I need. I need it to be 720x576. I tried changing the comp settings to 720x576 PAL with square pixels but when I tried to resize my video within these dimensions, I either lost quite a bit of frame on either side or had too much empty space above the letterboxes on top and bottom. What is the best way to resolve this? Thanks so much!

jessekirbs

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Converting a 1920x1080 HD export into a 720x576 PAL FHA
on May 23, 2012 at 9:35:13 am

Create a comp PAL anamporphic widescreen.
Interpret footage as square pixels, and drop it in.
Scale to get it fit. This must be a horizontal / vertical scale at the same size, since both are now 16:9.

You can make a 720x576 comp square pixels, but then you need a horizontal scale bigger than a vertical scale, but anyways, make the entire image fit in the new frame.

If you pick one or the other, the end result will be the same.

Now how did you notice the resolution isn't 720x576?
Don't trust QT, it can show a different size than it actually is.
If the comp size in AE is good, and you render out without scale or crop, the size will be good.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Jesse Kirberger
on May 23, 2012 at 9:15:45 pm

Hey Bouke,

Thanks for the reply. What I meant by it not being 720x576 is that when I choose PAL Widescreen, it sets the comp size to something bigger than that (I think it is 1050 x 576). Now, I was just trying to wrap my head around this whole conversion thing and came upon this article. So, if I understand correcly, the PAL Widescreen setting (1050 x 576) is that size to compensate for all the weird pixel and size conversions and will look just fine over in the UK and will in actuality end up being 720x576? My concern is that what I have is a 1920x1080 movie file which we then added letterboxing to and they are asking for a 720x576 SD PAL FHA movie file. So, using your method (even though I'm choosing a PAL WIDESCREEN setting) it won't actually be widescreen when they receive/broadcast it? Ouch, my head just started hurting. Very new to this sort of conversion, thanks for the help.

Oh, and when you say "Interpret footage as square pixels, and drop it in." do you mean change the comp settings to square pixels?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 23, 2012 at 11:57:32 pm

Stop worrying.
Use Pal Widescreen setup and put your footage in there, scale to fit the frame.
If you then render out, you will see that the final footage is 720x576.
Now go to your MpegII encoder of choice, make sure you flag the footage as 16:9.
Burn a DVD, put it in your computer and you will see it is right.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Jesse Kirberger
on May 24, 2012 at 12:34:54 am

When I drop my footage into the comp, should I go with the default settings on PAL Widescreen or set it to square pixels? I'll try it out and let you know. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jesse Kirberger
on May 29, 2012 at 7:13:59 pm

So I put the video into a PAL Widescreen comp so that the whole thing fit, rendered it out using the PAL, 48kh Audio render setting and it came out look just as it should (I believe). Correct size and all. Then I tried rendering one out (same exact comp) using the Lossless setting but it came out with the black bars on either side of the video. Using this method, am I forced to render out using the PAL setting? I feel like I am losing audio quality, which is not great considering it's a music video. Is this just something I'll have to live with considering they're asking for SD over in the UK? Thanks for all the help thus far!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]