FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with Hulu fitting SD Mezzanine File Formats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Patrick
Working with Hulu fitting SD Mezzanine File Formats
on May 23, 2012 at 3:37:50 am

So I have been doing compression for a show, than uploading to Hulu.

The original codec was DV

The footage I was given to work with is already formatted as follows.
Pro Res 422 Linear PCM(NTSC), 31.2Mbps, 720x486 (3:2) at 29.97fps with color profile of 6-2-6.
Full clip info from FCP is image attached.

When I export after the quick editing (thanks to them coming already in pro res), I have been unticking box that says interlaced. That solved my interlace problem. I am still having to crop the footage from possible damaged digi tapes (sometimes have a vignette of blue creeping into frame like a burn on corners). What is the best workflow to make my files fit these specs of Hulu?

SPECS for SD: Video
Constant Bitrate (CBR) 15 Mbps (Long GOP) 30- 50 Mbps (Intra), 422 Profile @ Main Level (422P@ML)
Aspect Ratio
16x9

4x3

Minimum Resolution
720x480 (with anamorphic flag)
720x480
Video Frame Rate
23.98, 29.97

23.98, 29.97

Audio
Mpeg Audio or PCM 16-bit or more
Audio Channels
Audio Sample Rate
48 Khz
Audio Level
-12db (when capturing from tape, do not adjust levels for existing digital files)
Codec

MPEG-2 Program Stream
Filter
Please make content progressive

Also I have been uploading Pro Res files to them so you can imagine the transfer speed of those file sizes for 22 minute shows. Since its been working I haven't changed anything but what is the best and quickest way to get setting to MPEG-2 Program Stream. I have Quicktime Pro codec for MPEG-2.

I originally did edit first, export current settings, Compressor was to slow for my turn around so I used Mpeg Streamclip scaled to 640x480 (4x3). I started now changing aspect ratio to custom 720x480 setting. Render and than export and upload which hopefully will get rid of the need to use MPEG Streamclip.

Thanks so much. Self teaching this stuff has been a real pain but without pain I find I never change or really learn that much. Help from some actual professionals would be awesome!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Working with Hulu fitting SD Mezzanine File Formats
on May 23, 2012 at 11:32:47 am

Hy Rian,
in the Hulu specs (http://assets.huluim.com/ad/hulu_ad_specs.pdf), i see other options that will be easier for you to accomplish. For example IMX-50Mbps (MPG-2 Intra-422) or PhotoJPEG at 75% quality (422, light files0
Do you have to stick to those that you posted?

[Ryan Patrick] "When I export after the quick editing (thanks to them coming already in pro res), I have been unticking box that says interlaced. That solved my interlace problem. "
If your footage is interlaced, this won't make it progressive.
You must de-interlace.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Patrick
Re: Working with Hulu fitting SD Mezzanine File Formats
on May 23, 2012 at 3:49:11 pm

Yes unfortunately they are extremely restrictive on varying from their specs. If the footage was HD things would change to 16x9 specs.

So for deinterlacing is there a better option for performing this than mpeg stream clip? And should I do it before or after editing the clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]