FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewer video quality vs Canvas video quality

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
Viewer video quality vs Canvas video quality
on May 22, 2012 at 3:10:07 pm

Hello CC people,

What would cause the quality of the video that plays in the Viewer to be better than when the same clip plays on the Canvas/Timeline? For example, there are clips of mine that play fine in the Viewer, but once they're in the Timeline it's choppy. And yes, the setting of the sequence matches the footage.
Thank you!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Viewer video quality vs Canvas video quality
on May 22, 2012 at 4:54:38 pm

FCP isn't designed to use ANY viewer when judging image quality. You need a monitor for that. You can set the size of the viewers to 100%, and that's as good as FCP can make it look.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 22, 2012 at 5:07:02 pm

I did not know that - obviously. Thank you, Dave!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 22, 2012 at 5:14:23 pm

Dave,
It just occurred to me that that actually wasn't the question: the question is why or what would cause the quality of the playback differ in the canvas than in the viewer? Like I mentioned initially the video I'm referring to, a clip that has a slow, smooth pan, looks fine in the viewer but in the canvas it stutters a bit.
Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 22, 2012 at 5:52:16 pm

#50 - Quality difference between Viewer and Canvas

Shane's Stock Answer #49 - Why is the quality different between what I see in the Viewer and what I see in the Canvas?

Well... the viewer is just that-- a viewer. It will display anything that fcp will recognize as usable video or graphics. The canvas is a viewer too, but at the pixel dimension specified by the settings of your project and sequence.

For example, if your graphic or footage is much higher resolution than your 720x480 DV sequence, FCP is interpolating down your file to fit the settings of the sequence. Usually this makes it look not so hot. DV is a 5:1 compression working with a 4:1:1 color depth. Your pristine picture images and graphics are being crushed.

Same with picture files. HIgh res pics now adopt the sequence settings and will render to those specs, and most likely they are not as high quality.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 23, 2012 at 3:44:29 am

Right.
You need to render and set the canvas at 100%, otherwise you are watching just a preview which quality will depends on many variables; Sequence setting, RT settings, system performance...
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 23, 2012 at 6:02:39 am

He did say they match. Assuming he's correct I'd say check your RT settings for frame rate playback. If it's set to half, it'd be pretty choppy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]