FORUMS: list search recent posts

Network & backup solution for small studio setup?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Barakat
Network & backup solution for small studio setup?
on May 22, 2012 at 2:52:37 pm

Hello there!

First time poster here, hope I have the right thread!

Right, straight to business, I'm wondering if someone can help me with any information they may have. I work in small studio, primarily for video editing with Final Cut (Pro 6). We have two editing suites, both MacPros running the Final Cut Suites.

We have so many external hard drives and the like plugged into each station, but there are two huge problems;
1) The biggest - there is no backup solution. We haven't got a drive dedicated to RAID 1 or even Time Machine. If any of the drives go down, all is lot.
2) Projects cannot be shared between Macs. If a project is worked on one Mac, it cannot be accessed by the other as there is no network between the two.

I've been looking into a NAS system to try and solve these issues. I'm thinking that both MacPros could plug into the one NAS, and therefore share data/projects with each other, all the while with a RAID 1 setup keeping all project material secure. We won't need to edit the same project at the same time on more than one Mac, but both Macs will need to access the NAS drives at the same time.

My main concerns are if this is even possible using this setup, and if so, are the connection speeds between the MacPros and the NAS fast enough for editing video content? I'm thinking the Scratch and Project data for each session could stay on the NAS and be accessed and edited via gigabit ethernet?

We predominantly only work in SD, but may move to HD in the near(ish) future.

Hope this makes sense, and that someone can lend a helping hand!

Thanks,
Rich

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Network & backup solution for small studio setup?
on May 22, 2012 at 5:50:28 pm

If you have two computers...this is easy. Get a large RAID 5 for one of them. Connect them via ETHERNET. Use the machine with the RAID as the shared server. It can share the RAID across the Ethernet and the other machine can access it fine.

If you have more than one mac to connect, you need to get a SERVER...a machine connected to storage that operates as a server, and then you need an Ethernet hub...

Two computers...easy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]