FORUMS: list search recent posts

export for iMovie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
export for iMovie
on May 21, 2012 at 9:34:03 pm

A client wants me to export a 10:00 (ten minute) video so he can compile it with other videos, and make DVDs using iMovie.

I don't have iMovie, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I offered him the mpeg files (.m2v and .ac3) that I made using Compressor to make the original DVD of the video, but he has not been able to import them to iMovie. He requested a single file. When I exported the video as a ProRes 422 SD anamorphic, the filesize was 2.8 gb, too large to send by FTP. (When I exported it in its native setting of ProRes 422 HD, it was even larger, of course.)

What codec/setting can I use to send this file by FTP? Because the client is going to recompress it using iMovie, I'm looking for the highest quality which is still small enough to send by FTP tonight (probably under 1 gb). Is there any way I can compress it for iMovie so that the client won't have to recompress it?

Should I try Compressor/Export for Apple TV?

Thank you.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: export for iMovie
on May 21, 2012 at 9:43:47 pm

Apple Intermediate Codec is what iMovie converts HD formats to. Try that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 21, 2012 at 10:00:28 pm

Exporting from FCP to Apple Intermediate Codec resulted in the 2.81 gb SD anamorphic file.

Compressor/output for Apple TV resulted in a 348 mb file, but Compressor said it had "failed," although it looks fine to me.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 11:10:07 pm

[Bob Cole] "
Compressor/output for Apple TV resulted in a 348 mb file, but Compressor said it had "failed," although it looks fine to me."

Apple TV format..h.264...isn't a format that iMovie works with. It will take that file and when imported, convert it to Apple Intermediate. So it will go through many many levels of compression. Which isn't good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 21, 2012 at 10:46:02 pm

[Bob Cole] "I don't have iMovie, so I'm at a bit of a loss. "

You are at a loss. If you have a Mac, iMovie comes pre-installed fro FREE!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2012 at 12:16:32 am

MacPros didnt come with iMovie.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 22, 2012 at 12:32:58 am

Mac Pro Included software:
OS X + iLife ’11
Every Mac comes with the world’s most advanced operating system, as well as iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand, so you can do more with your photos, movies, and music.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 22, 2012 at 2:29:40 am

Not to belabor a point, but if my MacPro 1,1 ever had iLife installed (which I don't recall it having), it doesn't have it now.

Thank you for assuming that I would have the latest and greatest MacPro, though!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2012 at 2:43:25 am

It didn't. None of them did until they started putting iLife on all machines. Which is after they quit making MacPros. Well, new ones at least.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 22, 2012 at 2:55:13 am

[Bret Williams] "Which is after they quit making MacPros. Well, new ones at least."

This is a total aside to this thread, which may belong in some other forum; but I started it nad Bret raised it, so maybe I'll just do it:

As much as I am ticked off at Apple for its failure to update the MacPro line, and its deliberate veering away from the architecture of FCP7, there is a part of me which really admires this company for its singleness of purpose and its unwillingness to be distracted from whatever it chooses to do.

With my small company, I can and will rationalize pursuing all sorts of peripheral projects, just because they interest me. So it is very instructive to see Apple, with all the money they could possibly need, deliberately neglect a whole product line, just because they are so intensely focused on other things.

At the same time, I'm going to miss the Apple OS and the MacPro, if and when I have to jump to a PC for whatever I choose as an alternative to FCP.

Was I talking about iMovie? Sorry for the lack of laser-like focus - I'm not Apple, am I?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 22, 2012 at 3:05:26 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMovie! It did come bundled. I have the Mac Pro 1,1.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2012 at 5:03:51 am

You're right. Think I'm confusing with g4. But having a copy of IMovie 06 isn't going to do much good now in any case.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2012 at 3:14:32 am

I'm was happy with my iMac i7 with a 27" screen and maxed out for half the price of a MacPro with no screen. Until I started playing with premiere and the new After Effects. Especially AE. The new 3d AE features require a CUDA base GPU card to cut the render times down to under a couple days. They're almost useless except for the occssional extruded logo on an iMac.

Otherwise FCP X runs extremely well since it taps the OpenCL features of the radon. I guess Apple screwing Adobe over flash didn't earn them any favors.

Back to your original topic- why not FTP a couple gigs? I do DVD disk images all the time bigger than that. I also exchange raw xdcam over Dropbox. 4-5 gigs at a time. Better than FTP because its like placing the files on someone else's computer. If you both have the app installed then you upload the files and their system automatically downloads the files. No logging in or emailing that they're uploaded,etc.

Also, isn't iMovie HD only 960x540 or something like that?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 22, 2012 at 3:23:21 am

[Bret Williams] "Back to your original topic- why not FTP a couple gigs?"

It seemed to be a limitation of http://www.yousendit.com, but you are correct - I shouldn't accept that. I did manage to send a 1.2 gb file, and I think the immediate problem is solved. But I'll have to look into DropBox.

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]