FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC HD / .MTS Conversion and Upload Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Lenihan
AVC HD / .MTS Conversion and Upload Problem
on May 21, 2012 at 6:32:34 pm

First, big thank you to Shane for his tutorial on tapeless workflows; it was a major help. However, I'm struggling to get FCP (version 7) to perform a log and transfer of the folder I created, which contains (through drag and drop) all the contents of the camera's memory card. Below is a descrip of my issue, and I'm very thankful for any tips/pointers:

I moved on to attempt a L&T from the SD card from my Canon HF M400 but have run into an issue. I captured the contents of the SD card in full onto my portable media drive, and tried (from Final Cut 7) to L&T from the folder where I dropped the SD contents. However, I received this error message: "(folder) contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media." The .MTS video format is AVC HD so I thought that FCP 7 had a built-in plug-in to read this footage, so am not sure why the error is occurring. Could this relate to the point in your video tutorial (Shane) about how sometimes files are skipped over when copying? Will I have to turn to something like ShotPut Pro in order for L&T to work? Are there other common workarounds for this issue?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVC HD / .MTS Conversion and Upload Problem
on May 21, 2012 at 7:43:59 pm

What format did you shoot? I know that 1080p60 isn't supported by FCP.

Did you shoot multiple formats on one card? For example, mixed 720p60 and 1080p30? IF so, FCP won't import.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ross Lenihan
on May 21, 2012 at 8:33:34 pm

thanks for the reply shane. i think you might be correct about the formatting issue...

the org i volunteer with (why i'm shooting) just keeps things on the standard "cinema" format, which i'm pretty sure (for the Canon HF M400) is 1080p60 (see http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-M400-Camcorder-Slots/dp/B004HW7E4M). i can change the setting to shoot at 30p, but it says that this is still recorded at 60i...will that still mean i'm out of luck?

appreciate all the help again...

ross

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 8:58:15 pm

60i and 60p ate different. I think that camera only shoots 60i and a 24p format. So 60p might. Of be the issue. But mixing other frame rates might. Or, it might be something else.

See if ClipWrap can open these files and convert. There is a demo of that available.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ross Lenihan
on May 21, 2012 at 9:03:56 pm

Thanks Shane. I think the formatting has been consistent with the cam, so I don't think that's the issue.

And I think that you're correct that the cam only shoots in 60i; I've read more and the standard for "cinema mode" is def 24p. If it does only shoot 60i, 60p would not be the issue, right?

I have ClipWrap which does indeed allow me to convert to FCP formats, so I can always try that if need-be.

Thanks again for your help.

Ross

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 9:54:12 pm

Yeah...some camera formats (there are a few dozen AVCHD variants) freak FCP out. ClipWrap always stays on top of things. And now that FCP 7 has been discontinued for over a year now, there will be no fixing those bugs.

(OK, almost a year)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ross Lenihan
on May 21, 2012 at 10:16:25 pm

Cool thank you so much again Shane. I'll see if I can make anything work by analyzing the card for cross-formatting issues and trying a few variants in shooting formats, and will otherwise just stick to ClipWrap (and probably ProResLT).

Best,
Ross

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 11:08:40 pm

That camera only shoots 60i. Even the "Cinema Mode" that simulates 24fps, is running at 60i (which is 29.97fps. 60i means 60 Interlaced Fields...2 fields per second...30fps)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ross Lenihan
on May 21, 2012 at 11:13:22 pm

Does this mean that the 1080p60 incompatibility issue doesn't imply since the camera naturally shoots 1080i60?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 11:23:56 pm

Correct, it does not apply. Something else is tripping up FCP. ClipWrap will solve the issue

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]