FORUMS: list search recent posts

[FCP7] "General Error" when importing and trying to view/edit .mp4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Bateman
[FCP7] "General Error" when importing and trying to view/edit .mp4
on May 21, 2012 at 1:36:58 pm

Basically, I'm editing a project at the moment which includes both .MOV and .MP4 files.

I have converted both sets of files (using MPEG Streamclip) with the same conversion settings, but I am having different results; the .MOV files import/view/edit as you would expect, however, the .MP4 files do not.

When I try to preview one of the .MP4 files I get a "General Error" followed by "Error: Out of Memory"

Note: All render/project directories are set to my external 2TB G-Drive (which has over 1TB of free space) and my network account is (almost) completely empty.

I tried to re-transcode the ten .MP4 files using MPEG Streamclip (again) and noticed that the process happens almost instantaneously, which I'm sure it is not supposed to.

Does anybody have any ideas what is happening or why? I'm working to a deadline and this is driving me insane.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: [FCP7] "General Error" when importing and trying to view/edit .mp4
on May 21, 2012 at 1:51:35 pm

FCP doesn't work with mp4 files. Not at all. And it doesn't just work with any old QuickTime .MOV file you throw in there. It needs to be as specific format of .MOV. A specific codec. .MOV is a container that can be one of a dozen codecs. It needs to be an editing codec. For the list of the ones that work in FCP you look in the Easy Setup list.

If you want an editing app that works with any QuickTime file you throw at it, you need to look at Adobe Premiere.

Options for converting. If the footage is Standard Definition, then convert to DV/NTSC or DV/50. If it is High Definition, then use ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gareth Bateman
on May 21, 2012 at 2:07:54 pm

Sorry, I forgot to state that I am converting all files (both the .MOV and .MP4) to .MOV (Apple ProRes422 (LT)) using MPEG Streamclip.

The .MOV files convert fine and import correctly and can be previewed and edited, but the .MP4s do not and can not (after being converted to .MOVs)

When converting .MP4s to .MOVs in MPEG Streamclip, the process happens instantly (literally two seconds for all ten files) which I am sure is not meant to happen.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 7:47:19 pm

Something's not right then...that's too fast. It might not be doing it.

Another thing FCP needs is proper TV dimensions. 720x480...1280x720...1920x1080. Any off size will make it not like the footage

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]