FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Video Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Ray
FCP 7 Video Effects
on May 21, 2012 at 6:19:25 am

I don't know the technicalities behind it, but it's been my understanding that applying certain effects within FCP 7, such as color correction and/or widescreen, can lead to a degradation of image quality.

I've never even considered using the sharpening effect before, but I'm considering buying a 5Dmkiii and have read that using a sharpening filter greatly improves the footage from this camera.

So my question, does applying this sharpening filter in FCP degrade the image quality? I did some quick tests on footage I shot with the MKii, and aside from the common aliasing, I didn't notice a loss of quality (but that's just looking at a small window on a computer).

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 7 Video Effects
on May 21, 2012 at 1:52:37 pm

Effects do not degrade the picture, re-compression does.
The sequence codec is vital to avoid further re-compression.
Use Prores.

[Paul Ray] "I've never even considered using the sharpening effect before, but I'm considering buying a 5Dmkiii and have read that using a sharpening filter greatly improves the footage from this ca"
Better than using any effect, try to get the picture you want from camera.
I've never used the Sharpening filter in FC,.
Sharpening is a complicated operation and you need a good filter and, most of all, a good monitor to see what you are really doing.
I use NeatVideo for sharpening and always takes me few tests to get the picture I want.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]