FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere 6 clips to FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Knobel
Adobe Premiere 6 clips to FCP 7
on May 19, 2012 at 4:10:46 am

Hi All,

I just found out that I am inheriting a bunch of AIC clips from an Adobe Premiere 6 user to edit in FCP 7. I've never really used the AIC codec, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for or any other codec it would be wise to transcode the files to on my end before editing.

It looks like the process has gone like this:

Shot on a 5D Mark II @ 30 frames
Stabilized and minor color tweaks in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS 6)
Export to AIC

Then...

I'm getting them
Importing to FCP 7 and using Cinema Tools to transcode to 23.98
Cutting

If anyone sees any traps I'm walking into, or a better codec for me to request from the client, I'd really appreciate it. Time is short.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Adobe Premiere 6 clips to FCP 7
on May 19, 2012 at 2:23:35 pm

OH there's a bunch of better codecs than the AIC. Are they on a Mac? If so compress to ProRes instead. MUCH better result.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Eric Knobel
on May 19, 2012 at 4:41:57 pm

I requested ProRes first thing, but they've already exported and moved on, so I KNOW I'm getting the AIC files. Since I've never used the AIC codec, I just didn't know if there were any other potholes I should be aware of (other than more compression), so I wanted to check in.

Side note: They're saying that with their new CS 6 they couldn't export ProRes now anyway. Is there a preferred codec now in the CS 6 to FCP (7) workflow?

Thanks, Jerry!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 19, 2012 at 10:21:51 pm

If any intelligent shooter/editor knows what they are doing, they should have backed up the complete file structure from the 5D. Request those files. Make sure they give you more than just the h.264s.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 19, 2012 at 11:23:10 pm

That would be best. The AIC codec will work OK, just not the cleanest compression.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Eric Knobel
on May 19, 2012 at 11:28:05 pm

Good to know!

Yes, they backed up raw files for sure, but they also did some color and stabilizing work that they want to hold on to & the client already signed off on and the post time is crunched as is, so starting over with the raws to do my own stuff wouldn't get us there in time at this stage.

All of this helps though. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 20, 2012 at 4:30:14 am

AIC is an Apple codec and works in FCP. Just a pity they used it but it should work fine in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]