FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Timeline Codec for HVX200 720/30 or 1080/30?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
Recommended Timeline Codec for HVX200 720/30 or 1080/30?
on May 18, 2012 at 10:35:51 pm

Hello again,

I've been either allowing FCP to choose the setting for me or going with DVCPRO HD. In either case, for whatever reasons I'm finding the footage looks choppy in timeline or, when I upload to a service like Vimeo, I am told by their techs that the kbps in the original timeline sequence that I'm exporting is too big. If this makes sense to anyone, while I have a few questions, I'd like to just start at the beginning with the Timeline setting.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Recommended Timeline Codec for HVX200 720/30 or 1080/30?
on May 18, 2012 at 11:01:49 pm

Your timeline setting should match how you're shooting. What's your camera set to be recording right now, 720 or 1080, and is it set to 30p or a different framerate?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
Re: commended Timeline Codec for HVX200 720/30 or 1080/30?
on May 18, 2012 at 11:12:16 pm

The timeline is set to match the footage
But I'm wondering if one of the prorez codecs is better. Or something similar.

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 18, 2012 at 11:21:53 pm

Without knowing your footage specs, it's hard to recommend the prores flavor best suited for you.
If you shot DVCPROHD, leave the sequence the same.

When you export, export current settings. Take That file into your compression program and create the deliverable. See the Vimeo site for ideal specs.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2012 at 12:01:48 am

I concur. If you shot DVCPRO HD...edit DVCPRO HD. You gain nothing by putting that in a ProRes sequence. FCP edites DVCPRO HD native, so it's not doing any recompression of the footage.

How are you uploading to Vimeo? Not the full res export...as DVCPRO HD, right? You need to compress it as H.264. Compressor has presets for this. Adobe Media Encoder in fact has VIMEO presets.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 19, 2012 at 12:07:11 am

Im shooting on an hvx200a, in film mode in generally in 720pn, 30fps @1/60. Beyond that I don't know what else there is. That said can I choose prorez hq 1920x1080 30fps or similar?

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2012 at 12:20:54 am

[Lawrence Richards] " That said can I choose prorez hq 1920x1080 30fps or similar?"

No. The camera doesn't shoot ProRes. It shoots DVCPRO HD. And taking your 720p footage, and blowing it up to 1080...why not shoot 1080 at that point?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 19, 2012 at 12:41:07 am

Ok so suffice it to say that if my footage originates from an HVX that its better to use dvcpro and not is that a hard and fast rule?

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2012 at 12:49:24 am

I don't know if it is "hard and fast," but it is the best way to do it. Going to ProRes gains you nothing other than longer render times and larger render files.

But you don't need to heed our advice. Do what you want. I'm just saying what I think is best. I was one of the first people in the world to work with footage from that camera on a broadcast show. Tested it before it came out and worked to get it certified by a few networks. I've worked with that camera, and it's descendents for over 6 years now. My experience has been to work with it in DVCPRO HD sequences, unless I was mixing it with other formats. Then I used ProRes. But the camera alone...DVCPRO HD.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 19, 2012 at 1:33:53 am

Good enough for me. So what can explain the stuttering of images I'm experiencing while using DVCPRO? This happening is what prompted me to ask these questions.

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2012 at 1:55:33 am

What hard drive are you using to store this media on? How is it connected? And are you used to interlaced smooth video, so progressive just looks stuttery to you? Without being in your bay, looking at your monitor, i cannot give an opinion on that.

Can you post a link to something you have on YouTube or somewhere that has the stuttering you are talking about?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 19, 2012 at 2:18:07 am

The media is all on my internal hdd and to be completely honest, I'm not sure how to answer the interlaced/progressive question. I'm an editor more out of necessity than "being 1 with it" if you know what I mean hence my somewhat vague and novice-like questions. Shane, I'm extremely appreciative of your willingness to help but I don't want to suck your brain so for now, rather than continue, I think I'm just going to putter around and see what I can make happen.

Thank you!!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 19, 2012 at 10:53:52 am

720pn, 30fps @1/60

Looks like you shot progressive.
Make sure you're editing in a 720 sequence and NOT a 1080 sequence.

Your media should NOT be on the internal hard drive. That is for OS and Apps. You will have poor performance in trying to do so.

You need dedicated hard drives for video editing. Preferable an external raid. You can have a couple internal drives striped for what you're editing though.

Also, in the browser, take a clip and drop it into a blank/new/emty sequence and let FCP match it. This is your best quality.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 19, 2012 at 11:39:19 am

Thank you, Chris. I did not know that about using a dedicated external drive as my scratch. Perhaps that's my issue as there is a lot of raw footage on my internal drive.

As for what you mention with dropping a test clip into a new sequence and letting FCP figure out what to do, I've tried that and copied my edited video from different sequence into that per-configured Timeline. Is that what you recommend?

And lastly, I am having a heck of a time uploading a video onto Vimeo. I've never had issues before but for some reason I am with this video. While it looks and plays fine on my computer, once up on Vimeo there are "waves" and "ripples" etc.

The video can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/42399731

Based on what Vimeo recommends and what I've been doing for a couple of years these are the specs I use when Exporting:

QUICKTIME CONVERSION:

MP4
Broadband High
Video Format H-264
Data Rate: 4500 k/bits per sec (*I usually only use 2000 and that has never caused any the video has looked fine)
Optimized for Download
Image Size 1280x720
Frame Rate Current
Key Frame 150 frames

The tech said that he thinks the bit rate is a little high - 13,500 kbps - and may be causing the stuttering I'm seeing. He suggests I try lowering it to 5000kbps and see if the performance improves.

Ok, but my question is how? Do I simply drop the data rate number I input way down to @1000 instead of 4500?

He mentioned also that the size of the original file may be the culprit. Again I'm scratching my head because I'm not sure what if anything I can do about the original file in the Timeline.

Get back to me when you can, Chris. And just like with Shane, I promise I won't pick your brain. :)

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on May 21, 2012 at 2:31:22 am

The bitrate or data rate can be considered the quality of the movie, so I don't think you want to drop that down to 1,000kbps. That's pretty low for 720.

I haven't had the best of luck with exporting using Quicktime Conversion, and I think this is where your stutter is coming in. In addition using QT Conversion it ties up Final Cut when you could otherwise be working. What I would recommend instead is to export a copy of your project at full quality (File, Export (not QT conversion, just export and leave it at current settings) and then take that into Compressor. You can check the exported file before going into Compressor and go frame-by-frame with it. If this export has stutter issues you need to reimport your footage, as something went wrong during importing.

Here's a good tutorial about using Compressor for Vimeo. Bring your exported QT movie into Compressor to make the Vimeo file. I would always opt for multipass encoding if time allows.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on May 21, 2012 at 2:37:28 am

Thank you, Jeff. I'll check that out. The darnedest thing is that is just happened again with another video. Until recently I've never had any problems with Vimeo and everything I've uploaded has been as mp4's. I don't think they take anything else.Very frustrating.

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]