FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log & Transfer issues (XF305)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ball
Log & Transfer issues (XF305)
on May 18, 2012 at 4:56:43 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure whether to put this in the FCP forum or the canon XF305 forum as i'm not sure where the problems are coming from.

I am trying to log and transfer footage from the canon XF305 and 99.9% of the time it's painless and trouble-free. That 0.1% of the time i have a problem where I can't transfer a clip because the media start TC is 00:00:00:00. On the camera the timecode is set to free-run and almost all the other clips are completely fine!

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm running final cut pro 7.0.3 with the canon XF plugin.

Thanks,

Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log & Transfer issues (XF305)
on May 18, 2012 at 6:50:49 pm

So, the camera is set to FREE RUN, and the timecode rolls from 23:xx:xx:xx to 00:00:00:00? Goes over the midnight mark? That is a BIG issue...by the way. IS that it, or is it something else?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Ball
on May 18, 2012 at 7:03:36 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting back to me. I think what you describe is the problem. Where it says 'media start' for the clip, it's 00:00:00:00. Sometimes there are about 10 clips like this on a CF card and sometimes there will be none for a few CF cards. So, is the proble, with FCP or the camera?

Has anyone solved it?

Cheers,

Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2012 at 7:23:01 pm

Well, that camera should have different timecode at the start. ONe of the features of that is that you can get unique timecode. Might be an FCP issue. Try trashing your preferences and then see how things look.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nick Ball
on May 21, 2012 at 6:45:57 am

Hi Shane,

Sorry to only get to this now, I've been away all weekend. So, when you say trash preferences, how do I do that?

Cheers,

Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 21, 2012 at 6:55:42 am

digitalrebellion.com

Preference Manager. It's free, and it's a one click preference trash app.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nick Ball
on Jun 17, 2012 at 8:06:59 pm

Hi Shane,

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this, we've been on a fairly long shoot. I've tried the resetting preferences and it's still the same, I get 0:0:0:0 in the media start in log and transfer, I drag the file to start the transfer process. It looks like it's working on it but then comes back with nothing.

Anything else you or anyone else can think of? I've not got to the stages where I need this clips, and they're just not accessible unless I use another method or converting (other software) which takes longer and just isn't the point.

Cheers,

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Ball
on May 21, 2012 at 6:58:23 am

Oh, and for more info, I've taken a screen shot of the issue. Note the 00:00:00:00. So strange. It try's to transfer then just doesn't....with no warnings or errors.

4186_screenshot20120521at08.47.01.png.zip
Cheers,

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Ball
on Jul 20, 2012 at 3:05:29 pm

This is not the right place to post this, and I will post it in the Canon cameras forum, but it looks like it might be closure to the above problem that I thought may be an FCP issue.

Hi all.

We film a lot of material on the xf305 and it does a good job, except for about the odd clip here and there (perhaps 1or 2 every couple of cards). Basically on these few clips the timecode is completely corrupted and won't convert/transfer in FCP or the XF Utility. So, I have searched and searched and searched for a way to solve this over the last few months to no avail, but Canon have finally got back to me now.

They have managed to replicate the problem through testing out my suspicions of the cause. We film most of our material with pre-record because we film mostly wildlife. If you stop recording but quickly (within 1 or 2 seconds) start recording again with the pre-record on, it will completely mess-up all the timecode. And, usually the reason you've started recording again is because it's a poignant moment and the footage is footage you need, thus a nightmare if you can't use it.

Canon called yesterday and explained that they managed to replicate the problem over and over again, and that this is indeed an issue. However, I got a call back later and the tech assured me that upon upgrading the firmware to the latest 1.0.4.0 version he couldn't reproduce it. I'm in the process of testing this myself to see if it is indeed a fix.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Cheers,

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]