FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 30fps timeline to 24fps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Elaine Chiu
Converting 30fps timeline to 24fps
on May 18, 2012 at 1:57:57 am

I'm working in FCP7 editing 30fps clips on a 30fps timeline. I was just informed that we need to be working in 24fps and all the clips will be re-rendered at 24fps, also changing the frame size. Any ideas on how to make this move gracefully?

Until I get my 24fps clips I will media manage my timeline clips to 24fps and then swap out the clips as they come in.
Copy paste everything to a new timeline that is 24? Then a lot of the sound falls out of sync (and there is a lot of sound work) and image gets distorted on all the clips.

Export edl and convert it to 24fps and re-import? Not sure never done that.

Help!

Thanks,
Em

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting 30fps timeline to 24fps
on May 18, 2012 at 5:48:11 am

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "I was just informed that we need to be working in 24fps and all the clips will be re-rendered at 24fps"

SO you were casually informed that even though footage was shot at 30fps (29.97 I hope)...you need to edit at 23.98? This was very poor planning. FCP does not edit 30fps as 24fps well at all. Nope, does a horrid job. If they insist on 30fps edited at 23.98fps, then you need to use Compressor to convert ALL the footage to 23.98fps. And it will take a while if you want to do it right. ANd it STILL won't look right, as it wasn't shot at 23.98...you removed pulldown in post, which isn't the best way.

After Effects would look better, but that takes even LONGER, and is pretty involved.

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "also changing the frame size."

OH JOY! Let's do that too! Clearly something that these people think is an easy one-button press process. From what frame size to what frame size will you need to go? (Bracing myself for the answer)

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "Until I get my 24fps clips I will media manage my timeline clips to 24fps and then swap out the clips as they come in."

Bad idea.

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "Copy paste everything to a new timeline that is 24?"

No. Even WORSE idea.

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "Export edl and convert it to 24fps and re-import?"

Nope.

Gotta convert ALL the footage with Compressor or After Effects. Then re-edit. They painted you into a corner here.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Emily Elaine Chiu
on May 18, 2012 at 5:31:28 pm

It's an animation project. So they are just gonna re-render all the clips at 24 fps. Fr3ame size was 1080 and now up res to 2k. Yay.

So I just have to recut the whole thing? no way to preserve the cuts from the 30fps timeline?

Thanks,
Em

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2012 at 5:45:50 pm

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "So I just have to recut the whole thing?"

Yup.

[Emily Elaine Chiu] "no way to preserve the cuts from the 30fps timeline?"

Nope. You can, however, export an EDL to use as a reference when you recut. You'll have a good approximation of where the cuts take place. Different frame rates mean different points in time when things happen. If you use this trick, they'll have to supply you with footage that has precisely the same file names and the same duration in time, with a few frames of pad at the tail.

As Shane wrote, they painted you into a corner. Be sure to express your appreciation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]