FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCS2 Install Error?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Allan
FCS2 Install Error?
on May 17, 2012 at 2:49:15 pm

Hi:

I'm installing my Final Cut Studio 2 on a new Mac Pro 2.4 GHz Eight Core after years of running on my trusty old G5. The new machine is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a OWC SSD.

I installed the software from the discs onto the SSD of the new machine, got all the way through all the discs until revisiting the Final Cut Install disc at the very end of the process where I got an error saying that the installation was not completed properly. It recommends reinstalling.

Does anyone know why this error occurred? Does it think I've installed the software on too many machines because it was installed on a different machine previously? The icons for all the applications appear to be in the applications folder. Should I uninstall, then reinstall? Or can I simply do the installation process again and will it overwrite in the same place?

I'm puzzled as to why the error occurred but don't want to add to the problem by dealing with it correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: FCS2 Install Error?
on May 18, 2012 at 6:16:25 pm

Hey Robert, very strange indeed. I recently installed FCS 2 on a Macbook Air which has proved to be much faster than my aging G5. I can only confirm that your issue has nothing to do with installing on a second computer. In fact, I've been alternating back and forth (recording audio on my G5) without problem. You can't, however, run FCP on both machines at the same time if they're both online. Somehow Apple is watching. That's where the single computer license thing comes into play. Hmmm. Is it possible that's your problem? That your G5 is on with FCP loaded, while you're trying to do another install? If so, you know what to do. If not, hopefully someone else will chime in... likely telling you to use the FCP uninstaller before trying all over again.

Chris

Return to posts index

Robert Allan
on May 18, 2012 at 8:42:49 pm

Thanks, Christopher. I appreciate your input.

No, the G5 was not on during install. I always respect the software license. My FCS2 was originally installed on the G5 (my main edit computer until I bought this new one) and on my Mac Book Pro only for when I work while traveling (5% of the time). I never attempt to run them together. The G5 will soon be put out to pasture once I can properly install on the new Mac Pro.

I read in some Apple forums that folks have experienced issues trying to load FCS2 onto a Snow Leopard machine because Snow Leopard doesn't like loading the entire suite all at once for some reason. Their work around seems to be installing one application at a time, rather than the entire suite. If so, I should use a FCP uninstaller first? FCS Remover from Digital Rebellion?

Sorry for the simple questions. I've never had to face this before. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on May 18, 2012 at 9:57:46 pm

I went straight from Leopard to Lion, so hopefully someone else with SL experience can respond. Digital Rebellion's FCS Removal is the one I was referring to. But I'd wait and see what others have to say first...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]