FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit to Tape - timecode showing up but video is black/blank when played back? Any thoughts welcome

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Simpkins
Edit to Tape - timecode showing up but video is black/blank when played back? Any thoughts welcome
on May 17, 2012 at 12:05:26 pm

Hi all,

apologies for having to ask but you guys are real life savers and a constant tool i use whilst learning as a video editor.

Today i am running some of my edits onto a DV tape as the company i am working for has asked for back ups on tape. I predominantly am used to working for online platforms and for the web so this is new to me.

I have completely various tutorials and think all my settings are correct but when i play back my video, although the timecode shows, the video is black/blank.

I am using final cut via a black magic multibridge to edit to tape from a uncompressed 8 bit sequence to a DVC pro tape on a DSR 1500AP DV cam deck. I have followed the creative cow tutorial exactly and am getting correct timecode etc but my sequence dosn't show up on the tape only black? Device is set to remote, final cut goes through motions of edit to taoe including the display window on my monitor but when i play back the tape after the process is done, nothing shows up?
Any thoughts would be a lifesaver. Thank you ever so much. I am still learning at this (even after 5 years editing for the web) so new scenarios like this are challenging but i hope to be able to get some help from the incredible support network which is creative cow.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from someone

Best wishes,

Rob

Rob Simpkins

Final Cut Pro Editor, Producer & Videographer

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
Re: Edit to Tape - timecode showing up but video is black/blank when played back? Any thoughts welcome
on May 17, 2012 at 12:36:32 pm

Also just to say - i've tried to specific as much needed information as possible but please do let me know if there is any additional information which will help then don't hesitate to ask.

I know it's a simple process but for the life of me I canot work out why it isn't working as my DV video deck is patched up correctly to my mac as have used the dvcam deck to capture some assets earlier this morning prior to starting this process of edit the masters to tape

Thanks again

Rob Simpkins

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Edit to Tape - timecode showing up but video is black/blank when played back? Any thoughts welcome
on May 17, 2012 at 1:31:22 pm

[Rob Simpkins] "DVC pro tape on a DSR 1500AP DV cam deck"

This deck cannot record to DVC Pro Tape. It can only playback. Use DVCAM Tape.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on May 17, 2012 at 1:49:57 pm

Hi Steve

sorry I am using a DVCam tape. Sorry I was shooting on DVCpro the other day. Hence my error. So by my calcuations all should be ok?

The time code is showing up but when I watch the video back it just dosn't play.

I have a dvcam tape with black on it on my monitor connected to the DVCam deck? Any ideas?

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Your knowledge is very appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 17, 2012 at 2:50:33 pm

Make sure you have the correct input set on the deck. I'll assume you are using Component in. Make sure BM card is set to Downconvert.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on May 17, 2012 at 4:02:33 pm

Yeah i'm using an SDI router to patch from final cut to the dv cam deck.

Whats strange is that it works fine when i do a simple print to tape, But not when I do Edit to video. I need the time code to be broadcast standard so i have the pre-roll/clock etc on the right timecodes but when i do the run out using edit to video it just comes up blank

Cheers in advance, any thoughts would be of huge value

Thanks again Steve

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on May 17, 2012 at 4:16:11 pm

Steve, could it be something to do with the deck itself. Maybe the settings are incorrect? I have it set to Sdi for input? which should be correct no?

Thanks again

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 17, 2012 at 5:11:39 pm

SDI input is the best choice yes.
Make sure the BMD is set to signal out to the SDI.
You need to down convert if your Sequence is HD.
If "Print to Tape" works. Do that.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on May 17, 2012 at 5:19:43 pm

Hmmm i assumed print to tape was working but in affect what is actually working is my full screen image displayed on my monitor is actually being read by the DVCam deck and if i manualy press play and record it records the screen - clock/bars/edit etc...

Im doing that for now but im sure it's not going to work as it wont have the accurate timecode...

Anyways, any furthers thoughts would be great as I know a lot about video codecs/workflows etc but this has got me stumped. I have no idea.

Almost feel like giving up to be honest.

Thanks for your help. God i wish I could ftp this edit like usual or even create a really nice DVD or blue ray with it. That i could do fine. This printing to tape etc is getting me in a real fluster. Im just not sure what im doing wrong?

Thanks anyways...

Rob :)

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 17, 2012 at 5:25:00 pm

Like Steve said, make sure the input selection on the deck is correct.
Feed the Monitor out of the deck and you will see what the deck sees, Get it right before you edit to tape.
You have machine control it sound like...
Choose SDI for your input, check the menues on the deck. Confirm.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 17, 2012 at 7:26:23 pm

I'm not 100% sure that the 1500A does edit to tape. It may only be available on the higher end decks. Try print to tape or do a crash record.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]