FORUMS: list search recent posts

Handling a BIG one

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Barraza
Handling a BIG one
on May 16, 2012 at 2:30:08 pm

Hello wise bobine brothers. I am handling a massive project in FCP 7.0.3. This is a documentary that has been gathering footage for the last 7 years. At the moment we have 12TB of footage logged and captured into 2 Gtech Gspeed RAIDS and 1 Gtech 4TB firewire 800 drive. All running from a double processor 2.26 quad core MAc Pro with 12 GB RAM.

All of the footage opens up from one FCP main project. All the Bins are organised in geographic order, i.e. where the footage was filmed and also there is a Interview Bin with all the talking heads.

I have been doing selections timelines and now I am doing conceptual timelines with footage from different bins. As I am working, first I get a green screen in the canvas or it goes pink in the canvas before FCP crashes.

I gather there are several issues, mostly to do with the fact that the footage is being served by 3 different Hard Drives, and that since the project is so big there are several types of video codecs. The majority of footage is HDV, then there is a a good amount of Apple Pro Res either 422 or Apple intermediate. Then there is a lot of old DV footage.

We are thinking of getting a single RAID that can handle all the footage (any recommendation will be useful) and somehow partition the project into several FCP projects. The problem with this that it might become all more complicated for accessing the different footage instead of having a big centralised project.

Would really appreciate if the gurus out there can advice me on the matter. At the moment I am getting two or three crashes per day, but that means about at least 15min of reloading time every crash plus the frustration of things not flowing the right way.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

filmmaking-editing-dop-dad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]