FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imports the video, but not the sound?!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pattie Boy
Imports the video, but not the sound?!?
on May 16, 2012 at 7:00:16 am

I have a DVD with some short films of mine. I used FCP to put the short films in order and burn it on to a disc. I now have decided to erase some of the footage. So I popped in the disc, carried over the icon onto my Final Cut Pro 6 timeline, and for some reason, the video only carries over, not the sound. It renders, and I end up with a silent video. I have tried to use the "Import" feature, and the files do the same thing, no sound. Why does the sound not carry over when I try to make a new shortened version of my disc? Thanks.

Jamie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Imports the video, but not the sound?!?
on May 16, 2012 at 7:18:15 am

FCP doesn't work with files directly from DVDs. You need to convert that DVD video to an editing codec...like DV/NTSC, or DV50, Or ProRes NTSC. But this means that your original video...that you compressed for DVD...that you are now going to recompress to an editing codec, and then recompress AGAIN for DVD...will suffer quite a bit of loss.

Why grab from the DVD? Go to the source files...you said you used FCP to put the short films in order.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad Harvey
Re: Imports the video, but not the sound?!?
on May 16, 2012 at 12:04:44 pm

I've had good luck over the years with a program called DVDxDV that does a good job of extracting the files off the DVD and encoding them into a format you can use. I'm sure there are a variety of these types of programs out there. I used to have to do this quite a bit so I bought the program, but maybe someone can suggest a less expensive solution.

Brad Harvey
http://www.bradharveycreative.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]