FORUMS: list search recent posts

scratch disk issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rand courtney
scratch disk issues
on May 14, 2012 at 5:35:23 pm

For no apparent reason my scratch disks have started to act very peculiar.

I am using a few G-Drives daisy chained together all with different projects on them.

Today when I was working on a project i couldn't save anything to the external hard drive anymore because it said that the file was locked. I remember having this issue another time before and it having something to do with the external hard drive being locked.

So, I go to "sharing and permissions" on my G-Drive and see that it is indeed locked. I unlock the padlock and it just goes right backed to being locked when I reopen the sharing and permissions tab.I even checked the "ignore ownership on this volume" but that shouldn't matter because I am the only one who uses this computer.

I can't set my scratch disks to any of my external hard drives in FCP, only my Mac HD which i don't want. When I try and designate any of my external hard drives it just says "unable to set scratch disk, the selected directory is on write protected or non writable media"

I tried verifying and repairing the disk in Disk Utility and it brings up no issues, but the "verify disk permissions" and "repair disk permissions" aren't even highlighted as options for me to use for some reason.

I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: scratch disk issues
on May 14, 2012 at 5:42:32 pm

I would try to avoid daisy chaining your drives. Work on one project at a time and keep all the assets from each project on the same hard drive. Your permissions got screwed up somewhere. Could be the daisy chain. Try connecting each drive individually to find out.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 10:06:01 pm

Exactly what I was gonna say! Tell what you find out.

Return to posts index

rand courtney
on May 15, 2012 at 12:33:56 am

I plugged in only the hard drive I needed for the project I was working on and then in sharing permissions I checked off "apply to enclosed contents" and that fixed everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]