FORUMS: list search recent posts

Background banding / Not best quality in Youtube :)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Bright
Background banding / Not best quality in Youtube :)
on May 13, 2012 at 8:09:57 am

Hey guys, need to upload a video within the next 10 hours to youtube of a new music video. Problem is it needs to be on youtube. Vimeo looks great in h264 format as I've worked from 16:9 ( RED FILES ) 2048 x 1152. The original export from fcp - through ( send to compressor option) is great both in quicktime and vimeo as stated above. No banding issues. Tried a few different versions. Some up to 1GB in size uploaded to youtube. Seem to get the same result every time on youtube though - and its bad. Ive done some research on other videos and this is comparatively worse.

Youtube conversion when uploading is either creating the banding or highlighting something I've done ( which vimeo doesn't do in their process ) on a very small level that brings out the banding. It was shot in a studio and the background has a natural gradient from grey to white. Problem is whenever I upload to youtube there seems to be a terrible gradient with blotchy look.

Any ideas? Pleassse help!

My export settings have been mp4s and h264 mov files all with the same banding result - both when viewing in 360p up to 1080p.

FCP project in full hd with no banding.

Return to posts index

Sam Bright
Re: Background banding / Not best quality in Youtube :)
on May 13, 2012 at 9:16:56 am

Note - I've just realised there is a bit of banding in the files coming out of tcp ( but not as exaggerated as when it goes to youtube ) so I'm thinking the banding is somewhere in the settings of the project / rendering.... maybe? Youtube conversion online must just highlight it even more... Once again - looks fantastic in the fcp timeline.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Background banding / Not best quality in Youtube :)
on May 13, 2012 at 5:28:00 pm

In FCP you are no doubt using a 10-bit codec. Banding won't be seen there. If you then compress to h.264, you are now converting to an 8-bit format...and banding happens. Then YouTube FURTHER compresses it, making the banding worse.

You have no control over how YouTube compresses your video. If only.

I have stuff that looks great on my system...on my external monitor. But after it gets sent to the network, and compressed, and then streamed over the has been stepped on and can be washed out, or have banding. I see this even on major shows like FRINGE. Less so because those are network...and the stuff I do is cable. But cable shows like PSYCH suffer this a little too. It's how it is compressed and streamed.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved