FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different media start and end points for same project/clip on two different computers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawna Talbot
Different media start and end points for same project/clip on two different computers
on May 11, 2012 at 11:06:21 pm

So working with a small production company and we're making a doc with two hard drives both with the same media on them. One editor made a cut down and used a flash drive to give it to the second editor.

Only now when trying to connect to their own footage on their drives most of the media connects with no problem at all. However, three aif clips give the error message: Media start and end points are different. When forced to continue anyway the sound is now off, but the edits haven't changed.

Why would the media points have changed? Is there a way to fix this? We've even tried copying over the clips from the one drive to replace on the second and that doesn't work. It's the same clip that works for one editor and not the other. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Different media start and end points for same project/clip on two different computers
on May 12, 2012 at 12:04:37 am

Do the clips have the same name? This is a big issue with AVCHD footage that starts with Clip #1, Clip #2 on every card you insert. If you have four cards of media, you'll have several dozen clips with the same name...causing relinking hell.

Some people capture tape and don't name the footage in FCP until AFTER...thus causing several UNTITLED, UNTITLED1, UNTITLED2 clips to populate the hard drive. Just because you named the clip, doesn't mean you renamed the file. It remains unless you rename it via the RENAME option in FCP...or on the desktop level.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
Re: Different media start and end points for same project/clip on two different computers
on May 12, 2012 at 12:10:32 am

Unfortunately I'm not sure how these .aif clips where made. They're all named location_AudioBU_date_001 as I was told something on shoot went wrong so the camera didn't have an audio at all.

Someone who is no longer working here originally used the audio back ups to sync everything up. It's over 2 hours of footage. It's going to be hell if I have to sync it all up again. Even using match clips as all the original time code is still there. (Which is exactly what I've been doing while searching/waiting for an answer).

So without being able to ask them how they made these .aif (as they were originally in a .wav format. That's sadly all I know.) Is there a way to find out/fix this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 12, 2012 at 12:16:14 am

If the drive names and directory structure were identical, then you wouldn't need to reconnect. If they have the same media, but organized differently, then you to need to reconnect. And if you have multiple clips with the same name...bad.

Only option I see is getting the drive the editor who did the cutdown was using. So it doesn't need to reconnect.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on May 12, 2012 at 12:35:16 am

The drives are identical as well as the file structure except one begins with Edit_1 the other Edit_2. Each clip has it's own name, although it is only varied by a 001, 002, ect at the end. (And some other specs, like location and date it was shot, but then those are broken down by number.)

I guess I'll just have to switch the harddrives they were editing on. This just stumps me as I've never had a reconnect issue before when the files haven't been moved or renamed - just the project from one computer to another.

Return to posts index

Ugo Danesi
on May 13, 2012 at 9:55:47 pm

Do you have checked the sampling rate into two "identical project"?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 14, 2012 at 8:08:26 am

There are other options.
FCP relinks first on name. (And you can force it to link at any clip.)

Then, it starts looking for TC. If the start TC fcp expects falls within the start / end of the clip, FCP will use that TC.
Now this can be great if the new/to link clip is something like a captured tape source with different start/end (the warning will tell you), but it can be hell as well.
So, if the clips are the right clips, just with a TC offset, the trick might be to remove the TC track prior to relinking (backup and test first!)
If there is no tc (or, no matching TC, the expected start not within the in/out tc), fcp relinks based on framecount, starting at the beginning of the clip.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on May 14, 2012 at 4:41:06 pm

I didn't think to check the sampling rate on the projects. I'm actually not sure how as I haven't had to do that before.

As for removing the time code from the clip. Maybe that would work. I'd have to test that if I get a free moment later. Still would like to know why one project reads as the time code being wrong and the other reads it right for the same clip in the same cut down sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]