FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio copyright

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gilfillan
audio copyright
on May 11, 2012 at 12:33:20 pm

First post, and video editing is 1% of my job -- so please be gentle. :-)

I used an audio clip I found in FCP X for a video I uploaded to YouTube. I got a notice of copyright infringement.

The track in question is "Torn Jeans" and I found it in a folder called iLife Sound Effects. Shouldn't I be allowed to use it?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: audio copyright
on May 11, 2012 at 2:37:47 pm

It's been a while since I read Apple's shrink-wrap agreement, but my gut says those effects are free for us to use for broadcast. Lord knows, I've heard them on the air enough times.

It's not at all uncommon for YouTube's/ BMG's automated filters to erroneously conclude a clip contains a copyright violation. A recent case about that had to do with YouTube freaking out and accusing a naturalist documentarian of a copyright violation, over the sound of live birds in the background of a video, claiming the nat sound was a copyright violation. Appeals were denied, wth a statement from BMG that a live staffer from the company had listened and confirmed that the software filter was correct in calling the nat sound an illegal pirate recording. The President of the company wound up having to admit this was wrong and apologize for this publicly afterwards, when the naturalist took his case to the public media. A cynic could infer YouTube knows it is wrong but doesn't care, as enough people just knuckle-under to make it pay.

I think you should contest it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Gilfillan
on May 11, 2012 at 2:50:50 pm

Thanks Mark. I also suspect YouTube's automated filters. It seems unlikely that Apple would include audio tracks in FCP without obtaining the proper permissions. I'm contesting.

Return to posts index

Kevin Gilfillan
on May 14, 2012 at 2:06:41 pm

The Matched Third Party notice has been removed from my YT video. That was fast - only took 2 days.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]