FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a sound effect and going nuts not finding anything for it, haha

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Seitz
Looking for a sound effect and going nuts not finding anything for it, haha
on May 11, 2012 at 3:16:18 am

Does anyone know where I can find a sound effect for the fast scrolling of numbers up or down? I tried even looking up something like an airport departure board, but got nothing. I swear it's used all the time in commercials, but I have no clue what to search for and have tried everything I could think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Looking for a sound effect and going nuts not finding anything for it, haha
on May 11, 2012 at 3:51:09 am

I know what your talking about. I'm bet someone has footage of the mechanical departure/arrival boards. Here are some sound alike suggestions that might work in a pinch:
Card shuffle, slowed and heavily EQ'd.
Look for old sound FX, or stock footage of a punch card reader or sorter. Sometimes older SFX labeled 'computer' will have this sound.
Old mechanical adding machines like accountants would use, might work if you edited the sound in a loop.
Close mic a rotary phone being dialed. With some pitch change and EQ, the dial return sound might work.
Footage of a teletype machine might also work. Most teletype messages have an underline, or a series of X's separating the messages. Those repetitive characters might work. There are also some repetitive electric typewriter sounds in the STP SFX library.
Look for footage or SFX labeled toteboard, or toteboard change.
If you find something close, don't forget there are lots of tricks you can use, pitch change, reverse, EQ, layering.
If you can't find anything, let me know. I have a teletype that might work in my stash.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Evan Seitz
on May 11, 2012 at 4:23:54 am

Searching "Teletype" was perfect - thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 12, 2012 at 3:49:43 pm

Yeah, substituting one sound for another is pretty cool and easily done. You just have to make the right choice.

Here's a classic case: in the '80's National Public Radio produced the original Star Wars -- Episode 4 in the movies -- as a serial radio drama in 13 parts. The series' director was Ben Burtt, who was the sound designer for the movie.

Anyway, in part 12 comes the big briefing for the Rebel attack on the Death Star. Up comes the holographic display showing the Death Star and its weak points. How do you do that on radio?

To give an audio cue that the view on the hologram was changing, Burtt chose something really off the wall: a slide change on a Kodak Carousel projector. Worked like a charm.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 12, 2012 at 4:56:57 pm

I actually use a rattlesnake sound for something similar once. Worked very well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]