Workflow Q. Looking for secondary HD camcorder to compliment HVX200

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leah Bolton
Workflow Q. Looking for secondary HD camcorder to compliment HVX200
on May 10, 2012 at 3:10:14 am

Looking for help with workflow!

FCP 7
2 Camera's: Panasonic HVX200 P2 and I am looking for a secondary HD camcorder under $1000 for secondary shots. I originally purchased a Canon Vixia HF S30, but could not log and transfer and did not want to convert MTS files.

Thanks!

Leah

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow Q. Looking for secondary HD camcorder to compliment HVX200
on May 10, 2012 at 7:49:29 am

[Leah Bolton] "did not want to convert MTS files."

You didn't want to convert the MTS files? Well, if you go AVCHD, you will HAVE to. FCP doesn't work with MTS files native. Adobe Premiere does.

Why not this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749832-REG/Panasonic_HDC_HS900K_HDC_H...

AVCHD...you will have to use Log and Transfer and convert to ProRes. use a ProRes sequence and put the DVCPRO HD footage the HVX-200 records into that. Better format. ProRes...not AVCHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Leah Bolton
on May 10, 2012 at 2:38:39 pm

That is funny because the camera that you suggested is in my possession right now! lol I traded in the Canon Vixia HF S30 (also has manual controls) for the Panasonic HDC-HS900. I preferred the Canon Vixia over the latter, but I couldn't figure out how to log and transfer files with FCP (wasn't recognizing camera). The Vixia has a shoe mount for a light on top that I need and the Panasonic doesn't. I also can't seem to log and transfer the Panasonic... is there something I am doing wrong?

I understand the concept of "log and transfer to convert to ProRes", but how do I complete the task if FCP 7/Mac isn't recognizing the camera or the MTS files? Maybe someone with one of these camera's (along with a Mac and FCP 7 combo) has successfully gone through the "log and transfer" process and can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again Shane!

Return to posts index

Leah Bolton
on May 10, 2012 at 3:07:03 pm

Shane,

I just found your tutorial, so I am going to give it a try on the Panasonic. If it works then I will head back to the store and try it on the Canon Vixia as well.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/...

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2012 at 3:12:18 pm

Glad you found that. I was about to link to it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]