FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting videos to clear my hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Exporting videos to clear my hard drive
on May 9, 2012 at 3:40:15 am

So I've pretty much filled my 4tb g-raid... and I need to free up some space. I'm guessing the best way to do this is to export all of my finished work in the highest quality fashion that I possibly can, so if I need to edit it by adding or removing stuff, I have the best possible piece of video to work from.

Of course, all of the text stuff that I have occasionally within the video is permanent... I'll have to go through that with a fine tooth comb.

Once I'm satisfied that the vids are of an acceptible permanent format, I'll export it and delete my capture scratch... which is a scary premise considering it represents 1000s of hours of work.

Do you guys have any ideas for the export, the settings, or any general reccomended advice for such a massive endeavor?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting videos to clear my hard drive
on May 9, 2012 at 4:11:50 am

Why not use the MEDIA MANAGER and the COPY option to make a new project that has all the clips used in your timeline...ONLY the footage used in the timeline, with handles (1-2 seconds on either side)? All titles and everything on the timeline intact.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on May 9, 2012 at 4:48:03 am

Holy crap that's brilliant. I've never even used media manager before... based on the information that you've given me, will this be easy to figure out?

I can always use youtube to look up some tutorials so I think I'll be fine. Handles... that's smart.

I'll give it a shot in a couple of weeks and send a reply to this thread when I'm done. Thanks a million for the help with this one!

---Travis

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2012 at 5:17:49 am

The manual has it all...

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 9, 2012 at 11:27:45 am

In addition to Shane's suggestion on Media Manager, whether you have a tape or tapeless workflow, you can always delete the media from your hard drive and batch capture the media if and when you ned to re-edit. All this applies if you have the original tapes or tapeless media backed up.

You will still need to archive all other files from the projects. Audio, graphics, etc...

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 9, 2012 at 6:14:25 pm

+1 for what Steve said.

Backup your card media and/or tape masters. Always, without fail, with redundancy.

Delete the media when the edit is done and mastered.

You can reload if need be via EDL/TC/Proj. Sequences.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]