FORUMS: list search recent posts

speed hike = degrade?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
speed hike = degrade?
on May 8, 2012 at 9:35:19 pm

I shoot with a D7000 at 24fps (that's all it does). My goal was to combine two clips and end up with as close to a 30sec clip as possible. At first, I edited the clips together, then increased the speed from 100% to 118% to reduce the length. That not only got me close to 30sec, it also enhanced the subject matter, spinning pinwheels...or so I think.

I got a rejection note from one of the stock agencies I deal with indicating a lesser quality than they'd like.

My question is, will a speed increase inherently degrade a clip. Also, could that be particularly true of a 24fps camera?

Thanks, Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: speed hike = degrade?
on May 8, 2012 at 10:10:33 pm

I don't get what you are trying to do. Are you shooting 24fps, and want to make the clips 30fps? Use Cinema Tools and CONFORM...if you want to speed it up. Otherwise, if you want to keep the same speed, you have to use Compressor and fiddle with the FRAME settings.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on May 8, 2012 at 10:18:00 pm

No, not at all. I shot 24fps and stayed with 24fps. My question is whether, generally speaking, if speeding up a clip will inherently degrade the quality. Sorry for the confusion.

My goal was to keep the length under 30seconds. When I liked what I saw but it came in at 36 seconds, I increased the speed to bring it to 30. The by-product was that I ALSO like the look of it.

All that said, is it possible that I did harm to the quality?

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 8, 2012 at 10:46:24 pm

It will in that if you adjust the speed slightly... something like 150% or 200%. If you go like 115%...then the frame skipping will be odd. SO it will look odd.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on May 8, 2012 at 10:54:06 pm

I'm confused. You're saying a "slight" adjustment might be 150% or 200% and what I did @ 115% is MORE than that? Sorry for the hassle, but let me know what you mean....Denks!

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 8, 2012 at 11:12:19 pm

Sorry, looks like my train of thought was derailed. SLIGHT adjustments of 115% will cause odd frame stuttering and cadence, and that will be distracting. More even rates like 150% and 133% and 200% fare better.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on May 8, 2012 at 11:20:39 pm

That is extremely interesting. (No, not your mental breakdown.) I'm not sure where I'll look into that concept but it's important to know. What you're suggesting is that a higher speed will produce a smoother video if it's a particular ratio to the original and the lesser increase will (or might) create a stutter or other problem.

I'm shooting video for about a year, following 25 years in stills. That's a perplexing concept. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 9, 2012 at 3:40:34 pm

[Ken Tannenbaum] "I got a rejection note from one of the stock agencies I deal with indicating a lesser quality than they'd like."

What codec (sequence setting) are you using for your post-production? What are the specs the agency is asking for? Just wondering if they are rejecting for technical reasons or aesthetics.

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on May 9, 2012 at 4:01:16 pm

Hey there! I believe it's the quality of it, not the aesthetics, although in many videos, they're nearly the same. Anyway, I shoot H:264, then an MpegStreamclip conversion to ProRes, import and edit in FCP, output as ProRes422 .mov file, then MpegSTreamclip to PhotoJpeg.

Parenthetically, it seems that all but one of the companies I submit to accept, even prefer PhotoJpeg. One insists on a re-conversion to H:264. But that's off-subject.

Did anything I mentioned shed light on the clip quality issue...again, rejected by one and only one affiliate.
I just like to get answers when questions come up.

Thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 9, 2012 at 4:56:47 pm

Have you tried using Compressor? If you turn on the Frame Control feature and under Timing set the quality to "Better" or "Best" Compressor will use a much higher quality algorithm to process the footage.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]