FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to play video while copying files on Mac OS X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Janssen
Unable to play video while copying files on Mac OS X
on May 8, 2012 at 10:53:02 am

Ok, so me and my colleagues are working with Mac OS X (10.7.3) for a month or two now, and ever since we are experiencing this issue:

Whenever we try to playback any sort of video at the same time we're copying files from one drive to another, either Final Cut Pro, Quicktime or any other application basically locks up and just "waits" to play the video after a while. Sometimes it takes about minute, but there are also times it will just wait for it to play until it is completely done copying the files in the background.

The strange thing is that nothing else is actually locking up... The Mac itself just performs completely fine and doesn't appear to have any trouble at all. The files keep copying at the same rate. Only the application that is trying to play the video locks up and gives me the spinning wheel of death.

This issue is really annoying since we're copying and backing up files from one drive to another quite often. We used to work with an older version of OS X, and never experienced such an issue...

System specs:
CPU: 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
RAM: 3 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?
Thanks in advance for helping out!

- Rick

Return to posts index

Brian Wagner
Re: Unable to play video while copying files on Mac OS X
on May 8, 2012 at 3:36:02 pm

I would try using Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer your files , We had a problem similar to this and found out that doing finder copy's of material really ate up the bandwidth and caused performance. It also allows you to schedule feature that is quite handy. Hope this helps!

Brian Wagner
Online Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved