FORUMS: list search recent posts

what are my best import settings for the C300?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Janzen
what are my best import settings for the C300?
on May 8, 2012 at 4:14:25 am

Would anyone know which Apple Prores setting out of LT, normal or 422 HQ is best for importing Canon C300 footage recorded at 50mbps, 1080p to preserve the maximum quality of what the C300 is able to capture?

According to the FCP manual, ProRes LT 1920x1080 encodes at over 80mbps. Does this mean transcoding higher quality than LT is superfluous?

And lastly what are the important things to know about how the final delivery of the project? Whether broadcast television or the cinema or both?

Thank you very much for any help,
Edwin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: what are my best import settings for the C300?
on May 8, 2012 at 6:03:50 am

I'd go with ProRes 422, or ProRes HQ. That camera shoots a 10-bit XDCAM 4:2:2 MXF format. I am editing it natively in Avid MC, but if I used FCP...I'd go ProRes 422. HQ if I was mastering to HDCAM SR.

[Edwin Janzen] "And lastly what are the important things to know about how the final delivery of the project?"

What they are...that's a big thing. You need to contact the network that you will delivering to and ask them what their specs are. They'll provide you with a spec sheet.

[Edwin Janzen] "Whether broadcast television or the cinema or both?"

Get specifics. If you are doing a film out, go with a company that has done that before.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
on May 8, 2012 at 6:15:28 am

Thank you for your answer Shane. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 8, 2012 at 2:58:20 pm

Shane - Just a small caveat to your post. The C300 only shoots an 8-bit MPEG-2 Long GOP format. I wish it were 10 bit, but Canon didn't give us that.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/ci...

Edwin - as Shane said, regular Apple ProRes or HQ are the way to go. I've been using standard ProRes with the footage from our C300 and it looks great.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
on May 10, 2012 at 4:04:33 am

If the ProRes codec is 10 bit and Prores LT works at a datarate of higher than 50mbps (which is what C300 records at) what is the advantage of ProRes regular or HQ? Could you explain this to me? There are an incredibly diverse range of opinions on what is better and why and for what end.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2012 at 4:44:43 am

Higher data rates. Cleaner video...less compression. Which one you uses is determined by the format you shoot and the format you need to deliver.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]