FORUMS: list search recent posts

EXPORT FROM FCP7 to a DVD...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Petrovitch
EXPORT FROM FCP7 to a DVD...
on May 7, 2012 at 1:20:17 am

Friends....
How do I get a 100 minute PRO RES 422 HQ sequence onto a single layer 4.7GB DVD?

My workflow has been in the past:
1) Send directly to compressor within FCP7
2) In compressor, choose 120 Best quality (mpeg-2 5.0mpbs), choose .ac3
3) Submit.

I shot a high quality looking movie, yet my movie when exported in this fashion, does not look like movies I get in the mail from Netflix. Their's are SD (compressed to 480 to fit on a DVD), just like mine. (Sad that we shoot at higher dimensions, 1920x1080, but in the end we have to compress to 480)
Nor is it as high quality as studio movies that I "stream" from Netflix.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: EXPORT FROM FCP7 to a DVD...
on May 7, 2012 at 3:55:26 am

Well, the movies probably started with better than what you shot (35 or 4k for example so since they start higher quality then end up higher quality) and they're using expensive compression boards to make the DVD's (not cheap and some are proprietary) and they use dual layer DVD's and a higher bit rate than you might have...

A CBR will help with the compression in Compressor if you use a dual layer and then set it the bit rate to 8 Mbps. a CBR makes larger files, and 100 minutes will just fit on a dual layer DVD probably. If not use the CBR a bit lower, you can see the duration that will fit the DVD in Compressor as you change the bit rate. I work short form, but a CBR makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the picture. You change all of this in the Inspector after you add a preset.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Alex Petrovitch
on May 7, 2012 at 4:27:39 am

Jerry,

Thank you so much for your response. I will try the CBR/8mbps advice that you have laid out.
And I am very excited to see the results!

However, let me give you a little more info. I shot a feature on a Canon 7D. You are right, it is not
4K, 35mm, Red, Alexa, etc. It is a simple 1920x1080 HD. But, I still am curious because I know the movie
"TINY FURNITURE", the TV show "WILFRED" with Elijah Wood, and the Fox's TV show "HOUSE" have all
been shot on the 7D/5D cameras. Which leads me to ask you about the "compression boards" that you
mentioned. Are these different software? Different hardware? When you say "not cheap", what are we talking? And let's say I wanted to send this to a company then to export/compress properly with this
high quality, do people do this service? I live in Los Angeles, I would assume so? Do you think these movies and TV shows I mentioned used these compression boards that you mentioned? I'm guessing "compressor" is then the "cheapest" program out there and really shouldn't be used for professional use?

Thank you again for your response. I

Alex

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 7, 2012 at 12:55:52 pm

The Hollywood studios are using companies in LA, seems to me you too could use them. Got LA 411 or other listing guide for LA? The DVD/blu ray pros would be listed there.

That said, if the noise is in the shot, it's going to be in the compression too. But the higher bit rate you do might fix you up.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]