FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Workflow Question: Batch Renaming Sequences to Match Clip Names

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Frantz
Basic Workflow Question: Batch Renaming Sequences to Match Clip Names
on May 7, 2012 at 12:03:27 am

Well first off, is there anyway, besides manually renaming sequences, that I could have a new sequences name match the first (only) clip added to it? That would be amazing, I've looked but haven't been able to find a solution. Now more on why I need this...

I plan on importing DSLR footage, syncing with PluralEyes, manually double checking the footage, removing original audio, then batch exporting individual sequences containing individual clips with the new HQ audio synced to them as ProRes files. Then, I suppose I would have to rename them in Finder either by hand or with a batch renamer, which could get messy, so I'll probably just end up doing it when I initially import the footage into the sequences.

The end goal of this workflow is ProRes422 files with embedded WAV audio, with the same name as the original files, in the most timely way possible.

If anyone has any advice on A) a better workflow, or B) some way to batch rename sequences within FCP, that would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Basic Workflow Question: Batch Renaming Sequences to Match Clip Names
on May 7, 2012 at 1:00:55 am

Have you seen Shane Ross's tapeless workflow tutorial? Making new QT files after syncing, doubles your storage and breaks time code and the ability to recapture via Log & Transfer if you have a corrupted file or a hard drive tanks.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Also search this forum as double system sycing and sub clipping have been discussed at length.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on May 7, 2012 at 1:36:39 am

Thanks for the prompt response. Maybe I should have elaborated on the workflow a bit more. I'll be importing the clips via ShotputPro, into "reels" such as A001 for the first dump off A camera, and so on. This will enable me to dump to two drives, and ensure proper media transfer because of the MD5 checksum verification that will be run on each copied clip, as well as a manual overview of the footage I plan to do. I will not be using Log & Transfer at all. With this method, corrupted footage will not be an issue unless the fault lies on the source media itself. Neither will a hard drive tanking, because I will have an exact duplicate already created at the time of the initial ingesting of media.

The new QT's are necessary (delivery to the editor is ProRes422 with synced WAV audio), regardless of the hard drive requirements, which are really a non issue in this case. Because the footage is DSLR footage with no embedded timecode, and we will not be using a lockit box, timecode is also a non issue.

Thank you for the link, I have seen it before, but it is a good one to watch again. I have searched the forums, and this is also not my first time media managing a DSLR shoot, but it is my first time with this particular delivery within such a short period of time.

I hope that clears things up a bit, thanks again for the response.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 7, 2012 at 4:08:35 am

If you merge the clips, then export the clips (instead of a sequence) it would maintain the name of the video file. Would that help the workflow?

Maybe not though... more steps possibly, but no way I know of to make a sequence automatically name itself the same name as a first clip added to it.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on May 7, 2012 at 8:57:28 pm

Yes sir! I can't believe that didn't occur to me, some times the most obvious solutions are the easiest. I'll have the original source video/audio in one bin, and drag the merged clips to a separate bin, then just batch export the bin once everything is synced. I just tried it on some old footage and it works great! If only I could automate the process a bit more, with a watch folder for import in fcp, automatically create new sequences, then refresh/run pluraleyes, create a merged clip, add to bin, then export bin to compressor for immediate rendering. Ah, wishful thinking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]