FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicklas Gks
Rendering
on May 6, 2012 at 8:22:08 am

Hi guys, I just wanted to check if this is true:

So I'm editing this small video of like 2 minutes, I shot on the 5D Mark III and converted the material to ProRes 444 in MPEG Streamclip, dragged it into FCP, created a timeline with the ProRes 444 setting.

BUT, when I add another video track and two clips overlap, FCP need to render the overlapping frames, can that really be true? Just because two clips are overlapping? There are no effects on the clips, no transparency, no dissolves.

Am I missing something here?

Regards, N

*UPDATE* - I'm editing directly on my computer.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Rendering
on May 6, 2012 at 11:18:40 am

Ok so you are trying to edit ProRes 4444 on your internal drive ?
Thats the issue. First you do not need ProRes 4444 for 5D footage it creates huge files and you are gaining nothing except a slow system.
Use ProRes LT or 442.
Secondly never edit directly on your computer - the drive is not fast enough and especially not when you are talking about multiple HD streams.
As a bare minimum you need and external firewire 800 7200 rpm drive.
But bear in mind this is the basic spec, once you start 2,3,4 etc HD layers at the same time you need to look towards faster drive interfaces and raids. You will then find realtime playback performance increases dramatically.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Nicklas Gks
on May 6, 2012 at 3:09:08 pm

Hey Neil, thanks for your response, I'll try editing from my external Lacie hhd, it's firewire 800. Which ProRes setting is the best for 5D Mark III (ALL-I) material by the way? ProRes 444 might be slightely over the top, I know, but I don't want to loose any quality for colorgrading.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on May 7, 2012 at 4:21:50 am

Pretty much any of the 422 options out perform 5Ds 420 pics in terms of retaining quality. (dont use proxy though) Some people use the 422LT option and others the 422. Its really very dificult to spot the difference between them though.
If you have loads of fast drive storage you can more easily use 422 rather tan LT. Do a quick test, trascode a couple of short clips in 422LT and then the same in 422, see how your drive performs if you do some dissolves or a couple of layers and see if you can spot any quality difference.
Go for 422 if all is good performance wise.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 7, 2012 at 4:59:58 am

You don't need anything other than Prores422 with material that is shot on the 5D. You are starting with 8 bit H264. ProRes4444 also has an alpha channel which you don't need and is probably why it wants to render.

FW800 is usually OK for ProRes422 although I work at 25 fps. AJA and Blackmagic both have free disk speed software

Return to posts index

Nicklas Gks
on May 7, 2012 at 12:21:38 pm

I don't know much about the whole codec and compression area, but compressing 5D Mark3 material to 422 would be fine then? What sort of software is that? What does it do?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on May 7, 2012 at 5:25:54 pm

The 5D MKIII is already compressed, it shoots in H265 format which is great for shooting but not good for editing.
H264 uses a GOP format (group of pictures) where frames are compressed across a series of other frames.
This gives a small file size but is not ideal for editing as the decoding has to be done "on the fly".
For editing in FCP you should use a frame based codec, ProRes.

ProRes is not as highly compressed as H264, hence the increase in file size. You do not lose any quality when you do this.

ProRes is also capable of supporting higher quality pictures than the 5D can produce so that is why there is no gain in using HQ or 4444 as you have already exceeded its spec.

You need to go to th 5D MkIII page on Canons site and go to the downloads section. Download and install the EOS Movie E1 plug in for FCP - that will allow you to use the log and transfer tool.

Hope that makes sense.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]