FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding frame/clip/sequence settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kendra Borgen
Understanding frame/clip/sequence settings
on May 4, 2012 at 8:52:00 am

Hello gang,

I've been using FC7 for a while now but have little education about it... Mostly I was okay with tape land but now we are in digital world and issues arise.

I shot something at 1920/1080 and FCP captures it and turns it into ApplePro res @1920x1080 w/25fps. My sequence was not set to this and it asked me to change sequence settings to match clip which I agreed to... as I'm working I notice the sequence is actually set to 720x576 (typical DV PAL).

So I go to easy setup and set it to ApplePro res but when it creates a sequence it only allows me to use 1440x1080 and 23.98 fps. Same thing if I select PAL and frame rate 25... it creates a sequence 1440x1080 and 23.98fps...

This makes no sense to me. Furthermore, if I then import into that new sequence all items appear smaller (I'm guessing this has to do with how FCP is reading the frames).

I also had some footage sent to me which was shot in 1280x720 that I need to edit together with my footage.

So my question (finally) is:

Can someone explain to me proper work flow, or how to solve this somewhat strange issue? Also does it matter that the other stuff was shot at 1280x720, can I just edit or should I reconvert everything?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded explanations.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Understanding frame/clip/sequence settings
on May 4, 2012 at 10:38:54 am

In Easy Setup you should be able to set for SD or HD and different frame rates. All you can set Easy Setup to display all frame sizes and frame rates.

FCP has ProRes 422 1920 x 1080 25 fps (50i). You must be filtering the display of the in built options.

You must select 25 fps. Do not change the frame rate. Also you can add 1280 x 720 to a 1920 x 1080 timeline and it will scale up 50% automatically.

Return to posts index

Kendra Borgen
on May 4, 2012 at 3:28:12 pm

Thanks for the info:

Here's what I encounter when I choose APR422 in easy set up:

and if I choose the only other option (other then custom):

So where can I select the sd/hd formats and frame rates? As you can see in both instances the frame rate is greyed out.

Thanks
Kendra

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 4, 2012 at 11:53:26 pm

Hmm my Easy Setup looks a lot different but I have a Kona card which adds a whole lot more options. I don't know why your frame rates are greyed.

So if you go custom and select a ProRes sequence with 23.98 frame rate, can you then open the sequence settings and change it to 25?

Also have you tried trashing preferences and repairing permissions? When FCP does weird things it is alsways a good idea to do that. Digital Rebellion make a nice free utility to handle preferences (Preference Manager). Preferences and permissions have been covered here a lot so a search of this forum will reveal lots of advice and links to utility software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]