FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and transfer increases the space requirement, doesn't it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jec Quatro
Log and transfer increases the space requirement, doesn't it?
on May 4, 2012 at 3:27:51 am

Hi, there. I'm new to this forum and I have a question about Log and Transfer. I've been editing for some years, but always using Premiere and previously Vegas. I'm now using FCP and I'm really impressed. However, I'd like to understand a little better how it handles files. I had some mts files captured with a Panasonic AF100 on my hard drive. I see that when I log and transfer, FCP creates the MOV files way larger than the MTS. That is different from Premiere, for instance, and speeds performance when editing, but it increases my space requirements, right? So, now apart from downloading the mts files to my primary HD, to my Back-up HD, I will now need space for the mov files. Is that how it works? Any tips to optimize space?
Thanks in advance to all and "nice to meet you" :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and transfer increases the space requirement, doesn't it?
on May 4, 2012 at 6:08:57 am

[Jec Quatro] "That is different from Premiere, for instance,"

Yes...because Premiere Pro works with files natively. FCP does not. It requires that the footage be converted to an edit friendly codec.

[Jec Quatro] " and speeds performance when editing,"

Correct. It adds Real Time performance to things like certain filters, certain edit actions (like dissolves and other transitions) and allows for multicamera workflows. because the codec is one FCP knows and works with, you get far better performance.

[Jec Quatro] "but it increases my space requirements, right?"

Correct. The data rate of ProRes is higher than that of the original file. The original files are not a format FCP works with natively...and they are highly compressed. ProRes isn't. AVCHD is 8-bit 4:2:0. ProRes is 10-bit 4:2:2. Better color space.

[Jec Quatro] "apart from downloading the mts files to my primary HD, to my Back-up HD, I will now need space for the mov files. Is that how it works?"

I don't know what you mean by PRIMARY HD...but how it works is backup from card to archive drive...then log and transfer to your MEDIA drive. Two different drives with different purposes.

[Jec Quatro] "Any tips to optimize space?"

If you are using FCP 7, you can do an offline/online workflow. Bring the footage in as ProRes Proxy, edit, then bring it in as ProRes 422...only the footage used in your cut. That's pretty smooth.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Although you picked an interesting time to switch to FCP. FCP Legacy (FCP 6, 7...) has been discontinued...end of life as of last June. FCP-X is the new version, and while it does give the option to convert to "optimized media" (ProRes)...or offer the offline/online workflow in a different way, it can work with footage natively. Some people like it, some don't. The ones that don't are looking to...Adobe Premiere Pro. And CS6 offers great advances...and still works with footage natively. I find it interesting that you have switched to a dead version of FCP when people are switching to PPro...and Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jec Quatro
Re: Log and transfer increases the space requirement, doesn't it?
on May 4, 2012 at 1:57:17 pm

Hi, Shane. Thank you for your helpful explanation. In fact, I'd heard that many people were moving to Premiere, but I have been planning to move to FCP for long time, and I actually feel I must be able to use any of them, because producers usually request the use of different software depending on the project. And, to be honest, it was kind of easy to use final cut once you know how to use other software, it's all about learning the specific aspects, shortcuts and skills, since the concepts remain the same. Though, from my first impression, whether it is a dead version or not, I can tell you that FCP impressed me a lot. Everything you need is there. Well, thank you for your feedback, and let's keep talking!
Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]