Interlace problem? Final video is not as crisp as in FCP sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Camina
Interlace problem? Final video is not as crisp as in FCP sequence
on May 3, 2012 at 9:40:19 pm

I need your help to see if I created a problem for myself:

(First some backstory)
When I was trying to export my FCP project to compressor, the project continually failed. After many attempts to trouble shoot that, I gave up. I decided to go a different route. I decided to export the timeline to Quicktime (with the intention of dropping that file into a new project and sending that file to compressor). When sending it to Quicktime, I received error messages at inconsistent times during the export. In an attempt to isolate the problem/problem clip(s), I decided to create mini-Quicktime files of about 30 seconds (using default settings) and replace the original files in my timeline (even exchange) with the Quicktime files. After doing that, I tried exporting the timeline to Quicktime and it worked. I had a movie. I took that file and pulled it into a new project and successfully compressed it (120min Best quality).

The problem is, when we screen the movie on a projector (via DVD), you can see the resolution lines (interlaced?). This is most obvious when text is on the screen. Font edges aren't crisp. (But it looks fine on my monitor)

After years in the making, I want the best exhibition file as possible. I know enough about FCP to get me into trouble. Did I royally mess-up at one of these steps (or multiple times)? Or is this a compressor or DVD issue? I've seen the same problem with other films at festivals, so I know this issue isn't unique to me. Help?!

HD 1440x1080
Video rate: 29.97

I did notice now when I clicked on sequence setting that the compressor setting is HDV1080i60. Quality 100%.

(and yes, I tried applying the deinterlace filter on the sequence and it didn't fix things)

Thank you in advance for your help,

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Interlace problem? Final video is not as crisp as in FCP sequence
on May 3, 2012 at 10:40:18 pm

You're going down from HD to SD... so there's going to be loss involved.

Can you make a Blu-Ray disc? That would preserve the HD and nearly quadruple the resolution.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Interlace problem? Final video is not as crisp as in FCP sequence
on May 6, 2012 at 9:55:45 am

Jerry is right, you lose a lot of resolution.
Just had to make a SD DVD of a HD Project.
But there is ways to make it less bad: Export the project in HD Quality from FCP, then put it into AE resizing it there to SD, before putting it into encoding for compressor. If you do not have AE, then do it in compressor, but make sure resizing filter is switched on and set to best (will render ages though).
In general, it still sounds like you have a Field issue.
In that case, if you want to have it in Progressive, you have to throw a de-Interlacing Filter on you material.
Best would be Frames Plus from RedGiant.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved