FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing QT into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Brown
Importing QT into FCP
on May 3, 2012 at 9:26:12 pm

Hi,
I recently had some 16mm film transfered into a digital file. The file was HD 1080 QuickTime Apple Prores. When importing it into FCP using the following settings I have to render the whole file.
Sequence preset : HDV-1080p24
Capture preset: HDV
FCP v. 5.1
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Will

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Importing QT into FCP
on May 3, 2012 at 9:52:19 pm

Just import the footage into FCP and drag it to the timeline. FCP will set the sequence for you. Just click yes when it asks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 3, 2012 at 10:12:23 pm

FCP 5.1 doesn't do that. Ask to make a sequence match the footage.

Well, FCP also doesn't do ProRes. That option came about in FCP 6. So you are not going to find sequence settings that match. HDV is the WORSE POSSIBLE choice you could make.

Uncompressed 10-bit would be your best option, for quality sake. But again, you will have to render the footage when you add it. And that has a HIGH data rate, and will require very fast drives to play back.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use DVCPRO HD 1080p with a frame rate to match your footage. The quality won't be as good (DVCPRO HD is anamorphic...1280x1080 not full 1920x1080...so less horizontal resolution), but it will be 4:2:2 color space and I Frame...opposed to HDVs 4:2:0 (1440x1080) long GOP format.

You will still need to render, although maybe not to just work with it. If you get a green render bar you might be fine. But because you lack the ProRes codec on the system, I wonder if it will appear RED.

What happens if you do that?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Will Brown
on May 3, 2012 at 10:45:48 pm

I get the red bar!

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 4, 2012 at 3:02:01 pm

Sorry I didn't notice the you were on FCP 5.1

Return to posts index

Will Brown
on May 3, 2012 at 10:23:11 pm

Yea, I tried the direct import. It didn't work. So I need FCP 6 or higher?. Is that the consensus?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 4, 2012 at 1:07:06 am

Either that or convert all your ProRes files to DVCPRO HD. or Uncompressed HD if you have fast drives (firewire won't cut it...talking Fibre or SAS connections.)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Will Brown
on May 4, 2012 at 1:41:15 am

Thanks Shane,
I'll try to have them converted. Thanks!
Will

Return to posts index

Will Brown
on May 4, 2012 at 4:22:12 pm

Shane,
How do I convert them? Can I import them to FCP, render them and then export them via compressor? Would that work? If so, what settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]