FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Anamorphic DV footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pastuch
Capturing Anamorphic DV footage
on May 3, 2012 at 7:22:52 pm

I'm doing a job for a client where I need to edit some DV footage shot in anamorphic mode. The guy who shot it is a professional and the client requested it shot on miniDV but with 16:9 ratio so he obliged.

It's been quite a while since I captured DV footage, I set all my capture and sequence settings to DV Anamorphic. However, the footage looks very pixelated, even after being de-interlaced. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks,
John

EDIT: Looking around the boards a bit, I'm thinking that the guy who shot it simply did not use a 16:9 lens and that's why the footage is cruddy looking. I knew 16:9 never looked good on a 4:3 chip, but I honestly did not expect it to be this bad.

Does anyone know anything that will make it look a tiny better? The bad thing is I need to mix this stuff with actual HD footage to a DVD, so the difference will be even more glaring.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Capturing Anamorphic DV footage
on May 3, 2012 at 7:49:43 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is fields: even if it's shot progressive scan, it's still lower field first. You can change the field order of both footage and sequence to None if it's progressive. Replace any clips in the timeline with the same clips from the browser; changes in field order don't carry through to the footage in the timeline. Was it shot interlaced? The field order is lower first.

Second is frame rate; was it shot at 24p? Advanced 24p? That pulldown's gotta go.

Third is resolution; if you've gotten used to cutting HD, SD video isn't going to look great in an HD monitor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pastuch
on May 3, 2012 at 8:53:02 pm

Dave-

It was shot interlaced. The problem was that I did not have the field dominance set to Lower and was not replacing the timeline clips (I thought it would change the clips in the timeline too).

Thanks so much. And yes, seeing DV on an HD monitor after editing HD so long is jarring.

-John

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2012 at 8:57:45 pm

An easy fix. I likee!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved