FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why did changing codec to Apple Pro Res change 25f editing timebase to 23.98

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia Morris
Why did changing codec to Apple Pro Res change 25f editing timebase to 23.98
on May 2, 2012 at 5:33:12 am

Working in fcp7, material shot in HDTV 1080i (16:9) H.264 codec. I set up a sequence: 1920 x 1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9), square pixel aspect ratio, editing timebase 25 with a h.264 compressor. All ok with first assembly.

Client then gave me material 1280 x 720 XDCAM EX 720p25 MPEG-2 Video and asked for delivery as HDTV720p (16:9), square pixel aspect ratio, with Apple ProRes 422 (LT) compressor.

Rather than convert all of the original footage and bring it back in, I created a new sequence with the specs in above paragraph and imported the assembled material and rendered.

It all looked and sounded fine (I just had a bunch of 1 second gaps on timeline throughout that i had to close up) but the editing timebase changed to 23.98 without giving me the option to be able to change it back to 25fps. Not having worked with this codec before I assumed it was part of the Apple ProRes 422 (LT) codec.

They want 25fps. Where is my work flow error?

They need to output it as 25fps to tape and as QT. How do I fix this?

Other info:
'Out of Memory' dialogue box came up a lot in this project when i wanted to render post codec change. I had to shut down fcp, re-open and then program would render.

Thanks so much, Julia

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Why did changing codec to Apple Pro Res change 25f editing timebase to 23.98
on May 2, 2012 at 9:36:21 am

TBH, you'd be much better off converting all your material to ProRes before assembling it on a timeline. Yes, it takes time to do, but it'll save you time later, e.g., when you come to export. Putting GOP codec material on the timeline gives you the illusion that you're getting into the edit quicker, but it's a false economy in terms of the amount of time you will end up spending on the project by the time you finish.

I recently picked up a project which had 4 different codecs on the timeline and had every problem you describe, plus regular crashes. Converting the media to ProRes fixed it, which took time (a couple of days doing it in batches) and in the meantime, the FCP was much more stable with the sequence settings in ProRes even with source material in other codecs.

Return to posts index

Julia Morris
Re: Why did changing codec to Apple Pro Res change 25f editing timebase to 23.98
on May 2, 2012 at 10:25:15 am

Any tips on the quickest way to get it working on to a 25fps timeline?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 2, 2012 at 11:08:08 am

[Julia Morris] "Rather than convert all of the original footage and bring it back in, I created a new sequence with the specs in above paragraph and imported the assembled material and rendered.

It all looked and sounded fine (I just had a bunch of 1 second gaps on timeline throughout that i had to close up) but the editing timebase changed to 23.98 without giving me the option to be able to change it back to 25fps. "

If you set a sequence to p25, FC won't change the time base unless you drop some p23,98 stuff and you conform the sequence to the footage.
Somewhere have been an error.
make sure that all the footage is p25 and that the first sequence was p25 too.
When you bring the stuff from the first edit to the new sequence should be no problem.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]