FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 HD multi-clip locking up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
garrett mccall
FCP 6 HD multi-clip locking up
on Apr 29, 2012 at 5:13:29 pm

Im editing on a 2x 2.8 quad-core Intel Xeon with 4 g of 800mz ddr2 ram. Ive recently switch to filming with Panasonic hmc 40 cameras. When i would edit with SD I could have 4-6 streams of video, now that Im using the HD the file size is quite larger and the Canvas and Viewer stop playing the clip. Im not going the be authoring this dvd as a blue ray disc, so should I just downsize the file to sd or what. Im also a new convert over the FCP from a real basic editing program called On Line Express from United Media.Ive used media manager to make a smaller file and been told to make a proxy file, I just dont want to go down the wrong road with this. Any leads to help me get editing would be greatly appreciated. Garrett

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: FCP 6 HD multi-clip locking up
on Apr 29, 2012 at 8:06:22 pm

Almost certainly a media drive speed issue. You need to have fast external media drives to play multiple streams of HD. Firewire 800 7200 rpm drives can pretty much only manage a single stream maybe 2 at the most depending on format.
Once you start needing 4 or 5 streams of HD you have to look to raids and other interfaces like esata or fibre or thunderbolt etc etc

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

garrett mccall
on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:34:47 pm

thanks for the help i looked up the thunderbolt, looks nice. if im not going to make a blueray out of this could i just downsize the clip and edit as if it was sd. sorry if these are so basic im new to all this, im coming from a being a cameraman and ive been thrown into this project.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 6, 2012 at 10:03:21 am

Downsizing your source material already now is not so good.
Just create Proxy Files from all your Footage with the Media Manager.
Then disconnect - make your footage offline & reconnect with the proxies.
After you finished the editing. Re-Connect with your master files in HQ.

Sascha

Return to posts index

garrett mccall
on May 7, 2012 at 5:22:37 am

Thank you I have a couple of questions about details. Are you available for consultation. Thanks for the leads. Garrett

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 7, 2012 at 9:59:43 am

Here a short compilation:

1. Select all you Media Files in the Project's Browser Window. Right click -> Open Media Manager.
2. Choose "Re-compress" (Here select Apple ProRes Proxy). Choose a new location (create folder for this) - ideally not the same HD than your Hi Q ProRes files. And save new Proxy version as seperate Project (give it e.g. your previous project name plus "Proxy". And then press ok and let the computer re-compress all your files to Proxy size.
3.Now, you can open the new Proxy Project, do all you editing. When you are finished. You select all your clips again, then right click "Reconnect Media" and reconnect it to your original HD HiQ Files.

C'est tout! You are done.

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]