FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color grading with Lightroom 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Morrill
Color grading with Lightroom 3
on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:30:48 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased Lightroom and love using it to adjust the colors in the my photos. That said, I couldn't help but wonder if there was a decent way to use Lightroom to color grade for video. Does anyone know of such a workflow? Perhaps a way to import a Lightroom histogram into FCP 7. I'd really appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Sam

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Color grading with Lightroom 3
on Apr 29, 2012 at 6:54:59 pm

You should use Color for grading video... it has what you're after for sure.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Color grading with Lightroom 3
on Apr 30, 2012 at 6:11:00 am

+1 for Jerry's Color suggestion. It's the proper tool for the job. It's a bit weak for a few things, but it's built for video and it's incredibly powerful.

The major downfall with using Lightroom would be the inability to change the effect over time apart from frame-by-frame dialing in the changes you want.

If you really want to put a square peg in a round hole you could export your project as an image sequence and import thousands of frames into Lightroom. You would find your develop settings on the first clip and paste paste them to the rest of the images in that clip. After getting all your develop settings down export out of Lightroom as TIFs with the same file names but in a different folder and open in Quicktime as an image sequence. Save/Export the Image Sequence as a QT movie, bring it back into Final Cut and merge your audio in, and there you go.

Naturally using this many TIF files will take a toll on your hard drive, so make sure you have a lot of space before you get started.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]