FORUMS: list search recent posts

sourcing from YouTube and workflow challenges

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
sourcing from YouTube and workflow challenges
on Apr 28, 2012 at 9:54:48 pm

I'm editing a video for a corporate meeting that is using clips from YouTube, so there's very mixed bag on source material.

Question one, why has this usually reliable prompt gone away? "Change sequence settings to match clip settings?"

Today the proj in progress is not asking this question, it used to. If I open a new proj and run a test, I *will* generally get the prompt. I don't see a pattern to it. (And it's not that the src clip already perfectly matches the Seq preset) Thoughts? (the conform user setting is set to "ask")

Now a familiar question - allowing for the disparate nature of the source material - what can I do to avoid the cursed beeping that tells me audio in the seq needs rendering? The TL is set to unlimited RT. Now allowing that the src clips are what they are, some HD ones in h.264 are so pokey I convert them in Compressor to ProRes (allowing an opportunity to chg the audio). The default setting seems to pass audio as is - which gives me a ProRes clip who's audio needs rendering in the Seq. Dratt who will rid me of this meddlesome beeping??? ;-) Is there a magic bullet in the audio conversion to minimize this - any help with any of this is greatly appreciated

Working in FCP 5 and mixing these YT in a sequence I'm trying to preserve quality so I'll generally want to set the Seq to 1920x1080 or at least 720 (even though many clips in the mix are lower than SD) The seq codec is set to ProRes - does this adhere to best practices?

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. I'd rather do this project in FCP5 but could move it to FCP6 is there were advantages re the above.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: sourcing from YouTube and workflow challenges
on Apr 28, 2012 at 10:16:30 pm

correction I'm working in FCP6 but *could* move up to 7

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 28, 2012 at 11:09:33 pm

Don't use pass through audio. Change the setting in Compressor to 16-bit 48kHz stereo AIFF.

As you have discovered, it is essential to convert any h.264 footage to ProRes when editing in FCP (even in FCP7).

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 29, 2012 at 12:05:01 am

Yes thanks Alan, I started doing that. I should mention more problems seem to arise working with Vimeo clips. However using 3.5 when I take a Vimeo h.264 clip and drop it into Compressor, all's well with the first clip but the 2nd appears in Compressor with "jobaction" in the corner and the system goes nuts with long delays. The workaround is a new batch for each clip, silly but it seems to work.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:54:00 am

Thanks Alan - I will go ProRes & 48k with everything

It's a tangent but does anyone have an answer to why has this usually reliable prompt gone away? "Change sequence settings to match clip settings?" 

Best,

Paul

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:14:43 pm

Hi Paul,
i shouldn't have gone away. But it only appears when you create a new timeline (apple+n) and then try to cut a clip into it. It wont do it when you have a timeline that already has material on it

thanks
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]