FORUMS: list search recent posts

I made the swtich to Pegasus R4 8tb

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Vogel
I made the swtich to Pegasus R4 8tb
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:54:24 pm

So now I'm wondering if I should or can raid 2 drives together separately. Meaning having 4tb and 4tb both equaling 3tb each instead of all 8tb to equal 6tb.

My thought on this is that I can separate my projects as needed and as those HD fill, I can swap them out.

Since this is my first raid, I understand that I could totally be missing something.

Advice needed please.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I made the swtich to Pegasus R4 8tb
on Apr 28, 2012 at 1:11:08 am

No. That's not how a Raid 5 works. You need at least 3 drives for Raid 5. With two drives the only protected option is Raid 1...mirrored. If you have two 3TB drives as Raid 1, that will show up as 3TB.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Vogel
on Apr 28, 2012 at 1:48:30 am

Thanks Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:33:37 am

You are much better off having a single RAID 5 with those drives. You will get more space than trying to make two smaller RAIDs and higher bandwidth.

If you really want it to look like two drives you can always make two partitions. However, I would rather a single big partition and organise the drive with Folders.

Return to posts index

John Vogel
on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:11:51 am

Thanks Michael, My thought was being able to keep my clients and their projects separate from one another. When one partition was full, or two of the drives, pull the two and add two more, etc.

I'm new to the raid world so I'm still thinking in the "one hd at a time". And if that one hd fails, I need to go to my back up. Ken Stone's article about the Pegasus got me started, but much to learn.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]