FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes LT in ProRes HQ sequence?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hebert
ProRes LT in ProRes HQ sequence?
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:51:48 pm

I have a bunch of footage to insert into a ProRes HQ project that I don't need that high of quality (some of the footage is green screen so that is HQ). Would you use LT footage in a HQ timeline, or make it all HQ?

Is the only problem that the LT footage will need to be rendered? I don't know how different versions of the same codec interact.

Trying to save space where possible. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ProRes LT in ProRes HQ sequence?
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:12:00 pm

[brad hebert] "Trying to save space where possible."

Then here's a space-saving suggestion: don't use ProRes HQ footage. Normal ProRes 422 is just fine, and that includes the green screen footage.

You gain precisely zero additional image quality from HQ, and there is precisely zero image degradation in 422 until you re-render it six times over. I know of no workflow where that would happen.

If you want to mix LT and 422 footage, there should be no problems working in a 422 sequence. If any rendering happens to be needed for the LT clips, they will be rendered in the codec of the timeline, ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Williams
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:12:39 pm

Yeah dude. You should be fine to throw it in there. Have you tried it yet?

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:06:27 pm

I have been mixing ProRes LT/HQ/standard for a while and never notice any problems. I was just curious if there were issues I should be aware of. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]