FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip adds black after end of footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Borba
Multiclip adds black after end of footage
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:44:30 pm

Hi guys,

I've found another thread about this subject and posted there, but it was a post from 2010 and no one has replied and probably won't. So i decided to repost here, since my problem still stands. Here's my post:

"This is the only thread i've found about this problem, and I'm searching it cause i'm having the exact same problem right now.
The multiclips are perfectly in sync, but after the longest clip ends, there's a huge black that keeps playing for 32 minutes. The footage itself is 53 seconds long.
It happens sometimes, without notice. Some multiclips work fine, without the extra black, but on some multiclips FCP7 just feels like doing it for the fun of it. No idea why.
And also, when it happens, the viewer's timeline (not the timeline window, the small timeline that belongs to the viewer window) is not plain white as usual, it has many vertical lines all along, like the ones that appear in the timeline (this time the actual timeline window) when you change Segment Speed.
The multiclip works fine really, but it's more difficult to work with it since the footage itself occupies 10% of the viewer's timeline space, and the rest is just that stupid black.
Since this thread was last replied did anyone come up with:

- why it happens?
- how do I "delete" the black portion so the multiclip ends when the footage ends? (maybe i have to re-make the multiclip?)
- how do i prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,
Gabriel Borba

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Multiclip adds black after end of footage
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:05:28 pm

Tell us about the footage you're trying to multiclip.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriel Borba
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:30:41 pm

Codec - XDCAM EX 1080i 24fps
Audio - 48khz, 16bit Interger

For a while it all worked fine, but lately some multiclips are coming out like this.
I'm syncing 3 cameras, sometimes 2.

Audio tracks are

A1-A2: built in camera mic.
A3-A4 and A5-A6: separate mics.

First I sync the audio tracks with the video track using PluralEyes. Works great. Then I link the audio to the video on each clip and drag them to the browser, creating clips with the new synced audio, so that i can use the browser > viewer > timeline workflow.
In the viewer I mark In on the slate clap of each camera, select all clips and click "Make Multiclip" using In points as reference.
Always worked. Until this started happening. Actually i can still work with these multiclips full of black at the end, but it shouldn't be like this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:14:25 pm

Have you taken the usual therapeutic actions when FCP starts misbehaving?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriel Borba
on May 3, 2012 at 2:48:57 pm

Sorry for taking so long to answer, I had to focus on another project... now i'm back to the project with the weird black multiclips.

I haven't trash pref, if that's what you're asking. You think it might fix the problem?
Any other therapeutic actions to take?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Gabriel Borba
on May 25, 2012 at 5:44:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Look, I have repaired permissions and trashed preferences and it keeps the same.
For example: I have a multiclip that contains 4 min of real footage, followed by 12 hours (!!!) of black. The 4 minutes are squeezed in the beginning of the viewer's timeline and it is almost as narrow as the playhead itself.
Impossible to work with markers and keep organized.
And now something new has come up: when I click, (on the browser) on some multiclips, they won't open in the viewer. FCP shows the message "General Error". I click OK and it instantly shows another: "Out Of Memory".
So now I can't even open some multiclips from the browser to the viewer. But if I go to the timeline, find a piece of that same clip, and click Match Frame > Multiclip Angle it opens on the viewer (i'm talking about the same multiclip that won't load in the viewer if I click on it on the Brower).

ANYONE, PLEASE... I've searched for a thread about this to exhaustion... there's only one person who had the same problem months ago, and no answers there.

Return to posts index

Charles Breiner
on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:24:55 pm

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same issue right now. The footage is ProRes Proxy files transcoded from RED. One thing I noticed is that if I just try to match back to the video track only there is no problem. It's the audio track that seems to cause the issue, linked or unlinked. Any direction would be awesome.

-CB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]