FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics in Animation Codec looking worse in FCP project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Graphics in Animation Codec looking worse in FCP project
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:42:58 am

Hi,

I am having a Promo film, in which there is a Graphic Animation integrated in the end.
The Graphic file is a QT Animation Codec based file, looking sharp and good.
When I export my final project (1080p, ProRes) - the edges of the letters in the Graphics are suddenly with small artifacts, making it look lower resolution.

Any idea why this happens?

Thanx.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Graphics in Animation Codec looking worse in FCP project
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:41:56 am

Firstly did you render. Secondly is the file interlaced or progressive? It should be created to match your field settings

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:52:07 am

Yes, I rendered it before exporting, in Prores 10bit, full Quality. And the the project, as well as the animation file is progressive.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:01:03 pm

Standard ProRes is 422 color space. You may be seeing stairstepping as the result of chroma subsampling. Try switching to ProRes 4444 to see if it helps.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:49:03 pm

Tried everything, including 444 export - no change.
Here some samples

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:55:37 pm

Ouch, that's horrible. Definitely not chroma sub sampling.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:59:14 pm

But what is it? in half an hour the company picks up the file. I guess I have to leave it like that.
They fly to Germany for a presentation.
I never had this before - ever.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:07:05 pm

Double-check the field order of the footage in the browser. If the edit timeline is progressive the footage also needs to be progressive, and FCP sometimes makes mistakes at 1080.

Once you fix the field order problem, delete the clip in the timeline and drag the clip from the broswer into the timeline. You have to do this because changes made to clips in the broswer don't automatically appear to those clips in the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:21:13 pm

Hi Dave,

sounded like a great solution. I tried it right away.
Same Same :-(

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:44:01 pm

You checked the field order of BOTH the sequence (in sequence settings) and the clip (in the browser), and made sure the clip matches the sequence?
Why is the clip in the Animation codec and Not ProRes, your editing codec?
Since this clip presumably came from a different application, what is the field order you used to create it?
Does the frame rate, horizontal & vertical resolution plus the pixel aspect ratio of the clip match your sequence?
When added to the sequence, did the clip get scaled?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:52:55 pm

Yes, the seq field order was already on none and the clip I set from upper to none and followed ur steps.

It was a job, I fell in for somebody else. I had to do a multi screen beat box editing and at the end comes the animation of the company- they delivered me the file in QT animation- that is what I got to work with.
Yes, all the specs match, including pixel ratio.
Actually I had to make to versions of the project: one in 1920*1080 and one in 3000*1080. They send me to versions of the animation matching those specs. Weird enough the 3000 version looks a lot better in FCP Thanx the regular HD. No clue why.
Both clips had the exact measures for the project. No scaling was done in both cases.

Sascha.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:03:51 pm

That's really screwy. It should work.

You know what I'd do, just to get the project out the door? Export the FCP edit to After Effects, slap it in a comp, add the animation at the tail, render in Animation or ProRes QT codec, then transcode to the delivery codec.

You can always figure out what went wrong in FCP after the fact, when you're not staring at a deadline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:31:11 pm

That is kind of the solution I came up with.
But i still would love to know, how it can be that it looked so bad in the 1920 version and the 3000 animation looked good. I'm just really curious, where the bug sits here.

Thanx a lot Dave! As usual, ur wisdom shines till Tel Aviv. :-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:02:41 pm

If the same logo animation was used in both versions, I would first look at scaling in the smaller project.

As a test I would render out the logo animation in After Effects, 1920x1080, no fields & Animation codec, then import into FCP and substitute it for the animation you originally used.

Even more fun: even though the resolution would be right, there could still be a field issue in the original animation: perhaps it was NOT progressive (no fields) but interlaced (upper field first). You could import the animation twice into AE, apply a different field order interpretation to each, and render two new animations in the corresponding field order.

Here's a third thing to consider: a lot of graphics just won't look good in an FCP viewer; you need a proper video monitor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:01:47 pm

No, not the same was used. One was exact size of 1920 y1080 and the other one 3000by1080. Now scaling was done to neither versions.
I did this test: I rendered out in AE again and replaced it- no change.

And I check on monitor, also rendered it out into the QT. the screen samples I posted screen grabs from QT, not FCP. I hate, when I can't find the source of a problem:-(((((

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:15:24 am

If the Animation QT was supplied to you then it may well have been rendered in AE as interlaced (fields enabled). Changing the clip in FCP would make no difference as the interlacing is in the way the clip was created. I have had the reverse problem where AE generated crawl footage was created without rendering fields and it was choppy in motion.

You screen shot says 'rendered with fields on in AE' when it should have been progressive in this case. Perhaps the 3000 pixel version was rendered as progressive so it looked better.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 28, 2012 at 6:08:07 am

That should be easy to figure out, no?
I just through a de-interlace plug in onto the clip and if that was the problem, I'd should see a difference.
Will try that and update here about result.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Neal Sickles
on Jul 1, 2012 at 8:46:31 pm

Thanks Dave! I had the same symptoms and your advice worked like a charm for me.
-Neal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]