FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any experiences with the Sony F3 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Fisher
Any experiences with the Sony F3 ?
on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:41:46 pm

Hi there,
I'm planning to use a Sony F3 and there are a couple of things I would like to know:

1- Is the timecode stable ? (i'm planning to shoot a lot and it has to be easily synced with the sound via timecode)
2- Is there any direct way to use it's footage on FCP without having to Log & Transfer ?

Hope anyone with experience with the F3 can help.

Any other tips or advises are welcome off course.

Thanks in advance !
M.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Any experiences with the Sony F3 ?
on Apr 25, 2012 at 10:57:26 pm

Tc is as solid as any other cam in the last 20yrs. Workflow is exactly the same as the ex3 or any of their sxs media based bpav structure cameras.

Honestly, I don't like shooting with that cam directly to the ex codec. I've used prores encoders via sdi. You have way less compression with prores 422 over xdcam ex.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:05:43 pm

I am just about to post a project shot on the F3 using sLog. The SDI output of the camera including timecode was fed to a PIX240 external recorder which can record ProRes or DNxHD. Both of those codecs can be edited in FCP without L&T.
Otherwise the cameras internal recording format is XDCam EX

The images using sLog are really nice. Sync was done by running time of day code and jam syncing the Sound Devices 788t twice a day. The audio was transmitted back to the PIX240 so there was no need to sync rushes. After the shoot it was discovered that there was a two frame discrepancy with the timecode as there is delay from the F3 to the SDI output of two frames (PAL 25 shoot). The team discovered later that there was the ability to compensate for this in the PIX240.

All up I can recommend the camera for lovely images and with the external recorder you can get edit ready codecs and great quality. Timecode sync, apart from the two frame offset was absolutely lock solid against the audio.

Return to posts index

Martin Fisher
on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:03:11 pm

Thank you both for your help !
Cheers,
M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]